Gas cooker thermostat

My gas cooker is running about two numbers too cool ie I have to set it at mark 6 to achieve mark 4 temperatures. I have lost the handbook, but even if I hadn't I doubt whether it would tell me how to adjust the themostat. Is this a job I could do or do I just have to recalibrate it. It is a modern Stoves Newhome with double oven.

Reply to
Jim Scott

Has it fallen off, or out of, its little metal clips at the top of the oven? If it has, then clip it back in.

Reply to
BigWallop

If it's a fan oven check the fan is running at it's proper speed.

DG

Reply to
Derek *

A fan would blow the gas out. :-) Although I have seen gas ovens with an external circulating fan and duct systems.

Reply to
BigWallop

the one I had BTW, though it was made by Stoves, that was 2 ovens ago. :-(

It had a burner along the bottom at the back of the oven, and a circulating fan behind a baffle that formed the back of the oven, just like an electric fan oven.

The one with the bad temperature control was electric. The temp sensor was just over the fan & it's circular element. In the end the fan got slow & hesitant to start.

DG

Reply to
Derek *

No, it's still there at the front. I wasn't sure whether that was a thermostat or just a sensor for the ducted fan behind the cooker, which blows air between the door glasses to keep the outer skin cool and the knobs from melting. I expected a gas thermostat to be some kind of mechanical regulator to control the gas flow.

Reply to
Jim Scott

Not the one that controls the fan, but the 'stat on the flame burner unit. On a Stoves appliances, this 'stat is usually incorporated with the flame burner unit.

Reply to
BigWallop

So i take it I'll have to go in with a mirror as the flame burner unit is behind a metal 'screen', well a bent up part of the base.

Reply to
Jim Scott

That's the one. And that's the best way to inspect it as well. Someone walking in on you while your head is in the oven, just don't look right, eh?

Reply to
BigWallop

The book answer is to contact the manufacturers, they may require that the part is replaced or there may be an adjustment.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I did, and they told me that it *is* adjustable, but they won't tell me how 'cos I'm not a Corgi.

Reply to
Jim Scott

An educated guess can be made if you post some useful pictures.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

What, of his canine parentage? :-)

Reply to