Garden tap thread size (2023 Update)

I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house. Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size. Is this a standard metric thread for garden taps?

Reply to
Dave Baker

All plumbing threads are still imperial afaik 7/8" BSP = standard thread to be found on 22mm compression fittings if that helps knock up an adaptor.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

On Thursday 23 May 2013 11:57 Dave Baker wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Usually 3/4" BSP but I have seen a 1" BSP - could that be yours?

Reply to
Tim Watts

In the sheds what you can buy will fit... I thought they where 3/4" BSP but thinking about it that is the same a washing machine conector which is smaller, so 1" BSP.

Wikipedia has 1" BSP as 11 threads/inch 1.309 inches dia (2.309 and

33.249 mm). Have you measured yours or just eyeballed it?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

AFAIK all garden taps are 3/4" BSP, as are all HPC inlet threads.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Knowing the OP reputation as a precision engineer, I'd assumed his measurements to be reasonably accurate. About 30mm o/d and less than 2mm pitch stacks up with 7/8" BSP x 14tpi. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Don't think you will ever find one :-)

IN 30+ years of selling pressure washers I've never come across one that didn't have a 3/4" bsp male thread for the inlet connection. The Hozelock tap connectors fit them & the tap.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That may be true, indeed there is no reason to doubt your experience, but there are 7/8" threaded objects:

polygonum

in my travels around europe in a motorhome, i came across loads of different tap connections,

in france it seem'd popular to have 2 taps side by side fed from a large bore pipe, one would be the standard 3/4 fitting for 1/2 inch hosepipe, the other would be the next size up, used with 3/4 inch hosepipe,

difference in flow was fantastic, could fill the 150 litre tank up in about half the time with a 3/4 inch length of hose,

I collected a load of adaptors over time, so i could connect to almost any tap i found, the one that got me was in scotland, service station in aviemore, sized slightly larger than 3/4, but smaller than any of the larger adaptors i had, used the back up of the rubber cuf and jubilee clip to connect to it in the end.

Reply to
Gazz

BSP *is* a standard metric thread in Britain. 7/8" BSP is 30.201mm OD x

1.814 pitch, but it is a very odd size to have on a tap. Most are 3/4" BSP.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I have garden taps installed between 1977 and last summer. 3 different threads are involved.

Reply to
charles

You're right. Seems to be a bastard size which no one stocks anything for. Might be easier to change the whole damn tap than try and connect a hose to it. Arse.

Reply to
Dave Baker

ws:knlugh$k1u$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me... > Dave Liquorice wrote: >> On Thu, 23 May

2013 11:57:38 +0100, Dave Baker wrote: >> >>> I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house. >>> Thread size measures up at a bout 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch >>> which doesn't seem to be an y normal BSP size. >> >> In the sheds what you can buy will fit... I though t they where 3/4" BSP >> but thinking about it that is the same a washing m achine conector which >> is smaller, so 1" BSP. >> >> Wikipedia has 1" BSP as 11 threads/inch 1.309 inches dia (2.309 and >> 33.249 mm). Have you meas ured yours or just eyeballed it? >> > Knowing the OP reputation as a precis ion engineer, I'd assumed his > measurements to be reasonably accurate. > A bout 30mm o/d and less than 2mm pitch stacks up with 7/8" BSP x 14tpi. > Bo b You're right. Seems to be a bastard size which no one stocks anything for . Might be easier to change the whole damn tap than try and connect a hose to it. Arse. -- Dave Baker

I have the same problem, but it's at an allotment site where I don't own th e tap, I just want to attach my hose to it. Did you ever find a solution?

Hozelock recommended I buy their 5/8" attachment - I think in metric so it took me a few beats to work this one out - hey, isn't 5/8 smaller than the

3/4 Hozelock one that I told them was TOO SMALL?
Reply to
sarah.e.moore

to change the whole damn tap than try and connect a hose to it. Arse. -- Dave Baker

Yes, if indeed what you had was 3/4" BSP. But bear in mind that the

*actual* size of 3/4 BSP is 1.041" (about 26.5mm). If the *actual* size of the fitting you had was about 3/4" in diameter, could it have been 1/2" BSP - whose size is 0.825" (just under 21mm)?
Reply to
Roger Mills

replying to The Medway Handyman, bond wrote: I finally solved *my* outdoor tap conundrum. 5/8 BSP.

Reply to
bond

It is customary to quote sufficient of the thread to supply the context of your your reply.

All we see here is your reply, since the other posts to this thread are

3 years old and long gone.
Reply to
Fredxxx

harry

He told you that the thread was 5/8 BSP - what more do you want?

Reply to
Roger Mills

replying to Dave Baker, homerman wrote: I made a 7/8 bsp female thread to 3/4 bsp male thread adaptor to suit hoselock connectors also made 7/8 bsp female thread to hoselock quick release connector both work very well I may sell if anyone is interested

Reply to
homerman

replying to homerman, jazmann wrote: Can you upload a photo? Or describe how you made the adapter. If you put it up on ebay I might buy one from you if its difficult

Reply to
jazmann