French Doors/Windows

Hi, I'm looking to replace my back door with french windows and wanted to know whether there are minimum width restrictions on french windows. My back door is 78cm wide so can I just take this out and fix french windows into the existing frame or will I need to widen the frame? Also, if anyone can recommend a good supplier or timber french windows I would very much appreciate it. Thanks

Reply to
ian_mclean77

What's the purpose? Usually french doors are there to give more light and a bigger opening, so if the opening stays at 2'7" I'm not sure there's any benefit.

The standard minimum size is about 3' (915mm) for the pair - that's not a legal thing, it's just the smallest I've seen at suppliers I use. 3'10" is probably the most common.

has a good selection, but they don't sell direct

- you'd have to buy through a dealer like

sell a few, but have less sizes.

auctions

No restrictions, but by having two doors not one you will end up with less glazing area, and less light - if that is the intention. It will also IMHO look a bit daft, and be annoying having to unbolt two doors every time you want in and out.

You could just replace the back door with a style with more glazing.

Widening the frame will require a new lintel over the opening, and Building Regulations permission.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If you can cope with a little Franglais, I can strongly recommend La Peyre - branches throughout France

bought their tradition chene (oak) units to use as the opening sections to build up into larger chapel windows. Outstanding build quality, and IMO excellent pricing for that sort of quality.

I ordered off the web, nominating the Calais store as the collection point - they drop you an email back a few days later to confirm they are ready for collection. From arriving at their store, to loading up and leaving - 10 minutes.

Reply to
dom

Thanks for the advice.

The main purpose is to inject more light into the back of the house. I wanted to do this without having to do any structural work so may consider a fully glazed door, or at least one with more glazing than the solid wood one that's there at the moment.

Reply to
Iano

Thanks, I'll check out the website as we're based south east so not too far to travel, and a good excuse to pick up some wine!

Reply to
Iano

Thanks for the advice.

The main purpose is to inject more light into the back of the house. I wanted to do this without having to do any structural work so may consider a fully glazed door, or at least one with more glazing than the solid wood one that's there at the moment.

Reply to
Iano

looking good - do these french doors open in or out?

regards

philip

Reply to
Philipj.cosson

Mine open inwards. There may be other options.

Reply to
dom