Free Energy - have you done this ?

Reading the various posts and putting 2 and 2 together to get 5 the old dear is the one at the end of the line with with 220v. The OP is near the bging at 253v. As you say it would be interesting to see what a voltage recorder produces at either of those locations...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So cut down enough of the wood to let the light in and then switch to solar.

Reply to
MBQ

There's memory and there's memory.

What exactly are you referring to by "stick"? I associate that with FLASH memory? Do you really mean Megabits (Mb)? 256Mbits is only

32Mbytes (MB) small by todays standards and unlikely to dissipate that kind of power unless it was made from very old technology.

A typical Micron 256 Mbyte DDR DIMM is under 10 Watts and even then only when being used absolutely flat out. Around 100mW when doing nothing.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

In article , MBQ writes

The thingy that U have described in your last sentence!.

Still this 2.4Ghz machine still chucks out a lot of heat...

Reply to
tony sayer

Maybe not large but you do see heatsinks on individual memory devices on graphics cards.

Assuming the original question should have been 256 MB (megabytes not megabits) and refers to current PC main memory technology (I always think of a "memory stick" as FLASH memory) then a typical Micron 256 MB DDR DIMM is under 10W flat out, around 100mW doing nothing.

The type and internal organisation of the individual memory devices on the DIMM has more bearing on power consumption than the capacity, hence a 512MB DDR DIMM is roughly similar.

Newer generation DDR2-553 DIMMs use a 1.8V supply and a 256MB DIMM dissipates around 3.5W flat out.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

And this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Usually when one changes to a smaller IC process, this process gives smaller size (i.e. cheaper) plus faster speed and lower dissipation. But in the upcoming change to 70nm, it has been founf that the size and speed are changed but the power has gone up.

Reply to
G&M

try asking on uk.rec.waterways. Many houseboats use wind and solar power and have no mains electricity so there is a weal;th of knowledge there. I lived like that for many years and formed the view that solar was miles better than wind. That was OK for running pumps, TV etc. but for heat I had to burn something.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

The Alternative Technology Centre in Machynneth (sp?) has several commercial spinoffs, the one I know is Dulas Engineering also based in Mach. There is a lot of knowledge there and you might think it worthwhile to pay someone for half a days consultancy to pick their brains

Anna ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Coventry Council runs a massive incinerator to burn all the rubbish produced in Coventry and Solihull. As a result of changes to environmental legislation, the Council - at great cost - had to install air scrubbers.

They decided to use the heat from the incinerators to generate steam.

The plant is now self sufficient in power and the Council sells the remainder remainder of the power to the national grid. The money raised from the sale of electricity is being used to pay for the environmental improvements. The hot water is passed to the local Peugeot car manufacturing plant that is situated very close to the incinerator site. Peugeot use it for all their own hot water and heating needs throughout the plant.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

That is the way to do it. All this recycling is total and utter madness.

Reply to
IMM

You can some pretty thorough knowledge for free on ngs like alt.solar.thermal sci.energy alt.energy.homepower

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

They have been doing that for years in Sheffield. I think it was one of the first places in the country to do it.

-- troubleinstore

troubleinstore

Many Thanks

I have a direction to go in.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Pete

Thanks for the infop, thats where I started, then I looked at running the heat pump all day so I kept the house warm, if I am working from home, then I will need it all day in winter. So next step was to look at free lecie to run the heat pump .........

As one poster pointed out, insulation is good, and I will be putting in *LOTS* more than the architect specifies. If only you could use sheeps wool straight off the sheep, cause round here the wool is virtually free .......

Reply to
Rick Dipper

You more or less can. All our fleeces go to a place in Bradford where they are cleaned (i.e. de-loused :-) and then used for insulation. If you've got enough dry space they are excellent insulators.

Reply to
G&M

Sir

Thanks for the thoughts.

The house is overshadowed by a large oak, which is not mine (no roots issue, the base is 15 feet below my foundations), so solar lecie generation looks like being a no goer, as its only as efficient as the worst cell. solar looks good but shade is not good for it. Solar haet collection might be a goer, but I can't see the planning guy going for solar pannels on a 200+ year old building.

I will turn my attentions to insulation for now, and see how good I can get it ......

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Sheep's wool is a very god insulator. Just get it washed.

Reply to
IMM

No matter HOW much insulation you put in, you are limited by the doors, windows, and requirements of ventialation. In teh limit these - even if your sole routes of heatloss - will still require substantial heating input.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Leave your eco-religion out of it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is this an "in" snot joke. Please explain.

Reply to
IMM