External power cable requirements (reminder please)

Hi All,

I was talking to my builder b-i-l today and we were talking about the current requirements for running a cable externally (to an outbuilding / garden etc).

He suggested it was 'ok' to run T&E in plastic trunking (buried or clipped) and I though it had to be in a steel conduit or SWA?

Also I didn't think an 'external' cable HAD to be protected by a RCD (even though it probably would be these days). You did need a DP switch and suitable fuse / MCB etc and the house and remote ends though?

I was also talking to the 'sparks' earlier re getting some SWA into the side of an extension where access to the outside was difficult. He suggested drilling a suitable sized hole through from the back of the metal box on the inside (not with the box in there as such) and fitting a std earth clamp and earth wire to the armour and just taping it over. I would then bring the 4 wires (3 from the SWA +extra earth) in through the hole and into the box?

It all sounds like a bit of a 'bodge' to me but wondered if it would 'make code' ?

All the best . and have a good weekend .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m