fooling pir

Any suggestions for increasing the range of a pir by using another trigger (or another pir switch). Our front light is just over 12 metres from the gate and the pir doesn't switch until a few steps after the gate. I'd like to trigger it at the gate without changing its position of sensitivity for the rest of the garden.

I was wondering about a remote wireless pir but how to trigger the existing one, would a flash of an incandescent bulb work?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

In message , andrew writes

You could try first turning up the sensitivity so that it triggers when someone is at the gate, then sticking tape over the sensor, masking it in the direction of the garden.

As you still want it to work for the garden (now, effectively at a reduced sensitivity), you can't totally mask the sensor in that direction, but you could try smallish strips of tape to reduce the average sensitivity, maybe a strip over the top part, or maybe some semi-transparent tape (multiple layers, as required). It will all be an exercise in guesswork, and trial and error.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Sensitivity is on full already.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Hi You don't say much about your existing sensor.is it part of the light or stand alone? Mains or low voltage? Either way the cheaper end of the market have a very simple range/sensitivity control so fine tuning is a pain. As for a remote sensor a simple way would be to fit a mains powered stand alone pir near the light and use that to control the light instead of the existing sensor. Pir's work basically by sensing a change in infra-red levels across various zones of the detector.These zones are then focused by a multiple lens on the detector. Range can be adjusted either by electronic means or focusing the lens by manually moving the sensor board.

If you really want to go remote just strap out the sensor in the light and use the remote sensor to trigger it using a suitable relay if needed. Another thing to think about is the time of year Pir's alter with temperature especially external ones in sub zero temp's.This means if you get it as you want it now in summer it will have to be adjusted.(unless you buy TOTR temp' controlled devices ) HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

Ah. And presumably you have also optimised the sensor 'aim' at the gate?

Of course, one of the problems with making a sensor too sensitive is that there could be lots of spurious triggering - by animals, or leaves and branches moving in the wind.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

When I walk to the pub lights seem to go on all over the place to light up the air. I wish people would keep their sensors and their light pollution and annoyance within their property (sorry - gripe not attacking sensible original post)

Reply to
John

Microswitch or similar attached to the gate/hinge/latch or an optical beam switch.

Reply to
Scott M

I agree, luckily my house is set well back and behind a holly hedge and arch so the light is largely confined to the garden.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Built in 240V 230W halogen, two controls: sensitivity and light duration.

Yes but that would mean opening the light up and I want someting to act in parallel with the existing light because it does what it does within the existing range quite effectively.

I was hoping for some gizmo that could be attached near the pir to fool it, either by using IR led or even a mechanical flag.

I like the idea but lack the skill or confidence to open up an otherwise good ( and not the cheap end of the market) front light.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

In message , andrew writes

Would it be possible to wire in another PIR sensor nearer the gate (though if you can, then just a switch on the gate would do the job)?

Or, not a cheap option, but you could bypass the existing PIR and use the Niteguard or some other similar system. Which uses wireless PIR's and a controller to switch the lights

Reply to
chris French

You can add a second PIR to switch in parallel with the first. That would leave the first with its detection area unaltered, but could fire up a lamp sooner when the secondary PIR is triggered.

(triggering one, or both would light the lamp)

Reply to
John Rumm

A completely random thought which is probably a lot of work .... but how about installing a solar powered LED light triggered from a microswitch on the gate. Some of the LED's could be replaced with IR LED's which the original light may trigger off.

Reply to
marpate1

I've had a thought. How about attaching a large mirror on the inside of the gate, so that when shut it reflects an existing heat source back to your sensor. When the gate opens, the sensor sees a change in IR and triggers the light.

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

I reckon thats about the only non-electrical way to do it. Hardly graceful :)

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Dave W :

Or... an IR beam-break detector at the "house" end of the path and a small retroreflective panel on the gate. The beam breaks when the gate opens. Actually that might be a bit sensitive so you could mount the reflector on the gate post so that anyone coming through the gate normally would walk in front of it. A lot depends on the geometry of the gate and whether you're bothered about it not working if someone deliberately or accidentally avoids it.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

If the current PIR driven light is switched by a relay in the PIR part, then all you have to do is to purchase and fit a second PIR, such that it's relay output is in parallel with the existing one.

I've got two such situations, one to bring on a light from approaches at right angles to one another, and the other is a light in the inside of the garage when the garden PIR light fires when we go to the deep freeze - the problem being there that occasionally that PIR switches off and you are left in the dark; a wave of the hand at the secondary PIR in the garage solves that problem.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Hi On the comment of light pollution I agree and in my area NW the council and police take a dim view to anyone causing it I know of cases where fittings have been removed to stop traffic being blinded.

As for your honest reluctance to damage you fitting you may find it has an override contact so it can be turned on by a switch in the house,in which case this is your remote switching.If not there are scatter beam sensors available for barrier and gate control which have up to 30m range, Small 12v transmitter ip65 rated about 5"x2" this could be mounted near the house with a suitable plug in psu (old phone supply rated 9-12v dc 200ma or more) and a reflector mounted on the gate focussed just off the pir at the house so as the gate is opened the beam sweeps over the pir. But if your gate is anything like mine as soon as the wind blows the gate moves, Just a thought, CJ

Reply to
cj