Floor Sanding Cost

Does anyone know roughly what it costs to get someone in to sand a floor, rather than DIY (have been put off by potential damage). Presumably they charge by the square meter? I have a couple of rooms of approximately 15 foot by 15 foot.

Thanks

Reply to
mark

Potential damage?? Floor sanding is one of the least risky DIY activities I can think of.

Reply to
Grunff

He likely means damage to the floor from gouging at the end of each run.

Reply to
visionset

Many hire places now carry large random-orbit machines. These are considerably nicer than the large belt sanders, in that they are more difficult to gouge with and easier to move around. Their only downside is that they don't remove material as quickly.

But even with a belt sander, as long as you use a reasonable grade of belt, you're unlikely to gouge the floor unless you're really careless.

Reply to
Grunff

Most floors dont need sanding, just a good clean up and fix the odd damaged board. Much quicker and easier. Public meeting halls are liable to sustain enough wear to merit sanding after decades.

There are downsides to sanding. Cost, labour input, and the fact that sometimes it uncovers a well wormholed core, thus making what was a good floor look terrible.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Do they leave circular marks though?

Reply to
marvelus

Not at all.

Reply to
Grunff

Do belt sanders leave parallel marks .????

Reply to
Stuart

Also, once you have removed the aged, work-hardened top surface, the wood underneath can be very soft, and much more easily damaged by furniture.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

I'm wondering if theres a known mechanism here, compression of the top layer?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

thoes edge sanders do leave circular marks, yes I know they arent random orbital.

Reply to
marvelus