Float Valve - what type is this?

Please see these two pictures:

can be seen, the water inlet pipe is at the bottom.

I'm trying to replace the minimum that's necessary, so presumably I can purchase a part that will screw onto the white part represented by the large plastic nut just behind the flush handle?

I don't really want to have the remove the whole inlet pipe if it's possible to avoid doing so.

I see there are some float vales on Ebay:

would any of those be suitable?

If not, can anyone recommend something suitable please? I'm a float valve virgin. :-)

Thanks Phil

Reply to
phil

Try this:

John

It's not worth buying bits and pieces.

They probably won't fit and you will end up making several trips and spending more money and more importantly time.

The best replacement is an equilibrium float valve such as a Torbeck.

also obtainable from DIY stores. Buy a fibre washer for the tap connector fitting on the bottom. These usually fall apart when the old one is removed.

Turn off the water and undo the nut on the tap connector (metal fitting underneath) and remove the old valve.

Take the new one and if the cistern is filled by mains water fit the high pressure (HP) restrictor in the inlet of the valve. Otherwise fit the low pressure (LP) one.

Offer the valve through the base of the cistern following the location of where the rubber sealing ring should go - normally inside. Do not tighten the valve into the base of the cistern yet but leave it quite loose.

Put the new fibre washer on the tap connector flange and offer up the fitting to the valve. CAREFULLY screw on the nut taking CARE not to force it and making sure it doesn't cross thread. Do up finger tight only.

Now do up the nut holding the valve to the base of the cistern gently using a wrench and holding the valve stem inside the cistern.

Finally tighten the fitting nut gently with a wrench, NOT forcing it.

Unscrew the ring securing the front part of the valve in place and remove the cap and black diaphragm.

Briefly turn on the water to flush out any crud that may have become loose.

Refit the diaphragm, front cap and ring of valve.

Job done.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy, if my fluidmaster is buggered - whatever I do it still does the intermittent fill by itself - do I need a whole new valve assembly ie the bit from inlet to float at about 12 quid? Or is there a likely culprit that is available as a spare?

Reply to
VisionSet

Andy and John - thanks for the suggestions.

Won't I though need a new arm and float if going for the Andy's Screwfix suggestion?

What's that loose piece of plastic hanging off the Screwfix unit? It looks like a long plastic bag to my untrained eye.

Are the compact units any good?

Reply to
phil

Try this:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks - how do they differ besides a different colour and model number?

Also, they don't require the additional arm and ball float do they?

Reply to
phil

Ah, I see - the blue one is a side inlet so I would need the black one as it's a bottom inlet.

Reply to
phil

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (phil) contains these words:

Silencer. It stops the water falling into the cistern with a splash. They used to be rigid pipe led to below the water level, but to avoid the posibility of sucking water back into the pipes from the cistern in the event of a vacuum in the supply they're made of collapsible plastic now so you can't suck through them.

Reply to
Guy King

I see, thanks you.

I now can't decide whether to go for the original old design (float ball and arm) or the newer type with the integrated float.

Reply to
phil

I tried a Fluidmaster and found problems with the float, so replaced it with the Torbeck

Reply to
Andy Hall

As can be seen, the water inlet pipe is at the bottom.

Despite what others have said, all you need to replace is the diaphragm washer. It looks like this

costs a few pence, .. unless you buy it from B&Q

-
Reply to
Mark

Thanks. I assume though that there are different sizes for different float valve assemblies, so I guess the only way to find the right type for my unit is to take mine apart and measure it?

Reply to
phil

Just dismantled it, the diaphragm valve is 1.25" / 32mm in diameter.

Now where can I buy such an item online? I don't have a DIY store within 12 miles of me, so shopping online is obviously preferable.

Reply to
phil

The cost of shipping will exceed the cost of the part, assuming it can be found.....

Hence the suggestion to replace the thing and done with it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

My thoughts exactly.

Indeed. Looks like that's the best option then, thanks.

Reply to
phil