Fitting a Bathroom Extractor Fan?

Hi,

I would like to fit an extractor fan over the bath (with wall mounted shower). I have easy access to the loft space above the ceiling and the bath is next to an out side wall.

I would like an adjustable timer that controls how long the fan stays on after the light is switched off, but the main think I want is a quiet fan. I was thinking that if the fan was mounted at the outside wall end of the duct there would be less fan noise in the bathroom. Are systems like this available and would it be any quieter?

I have had experience of Silavent fans in bathrooms before and, to me, they are anything but silent! What makes would you recommend I look at? Can I get a truly silent system?

Thanks, BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail

You will not eliminate the noise, but you can reduce it or make it more remote from the bathroom. Look at in line duct fans for a kick off.

Having just completed this exercise I would recommend:

Good quality in line fan. Rubber mounting. Isolate fan from duct with flexibles. Use smooth bore plastic duct with minimum bends. Look at Vent Axia calculator brochure for info. on sizing and install requirements. Go for large bore duct to reduce air speed for a given flow (even if you eliminate fan noise, you will get some air flow noise). Most in line fans will come with fitted or optional timer. Watch out for drop in flow rate with "concertina" style ducting!

I went Vent Axia in line fan with separate timer - very pricy. Time will tell if this was money well spent....still working on bathroom re-fit.

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It may be worth you using a fan with humidistat - rather than just the timer sort. That way it will only run when there is something for it to do (assuming it is just moisture leveles you are trying to control)

Reply to
John Rumm

Phil,

In message , TheScullster writes

Accepted. The Silavent experience I had was definitely fan noise and the big problem was you could hear it running in the bedroom.

Thanks, some useful tips.

BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail

John,

In message , John Rumm writes

Thanks, I will consider that option.

As the toilet is in the bathroom, there would be advantages to having it on a timer. :-)

Or possibly a manual override to the humidistat.

BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail

You have to buy the top brands to reduce fan noise. Vent-Axia, etc. They cost well more than the cheapies in the sheds, but are well made and a "lot" quieter.

Reply to
IMM

CPC do a humidistat one with a pull cord attached that you can use for manual override. It also has a LED that lights when it is on override.

Reply to
John Rumm