Finishing ripped plasterboard

I've ripped out some fitted wardrobes which had some shelves glued to the plasterboard wall with very strong adhesive. Taking them off has left me with a rip in the board - /not/ structurally, but in the surface paper, leaving me looking at brown fibres.

What do I need to do to these areas? Seal with dilute PVA, skim with plaster, then paint?

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

If it's only a small area, just use cellulose filler, then sand + paint.

Reply to
Grunff

Okay, will do. I'm remarkably crap, even with Polyfilla. I've just tarted up my airing cupboard, and my filling of non-tiny areas is okay, but even after a sanding, there is a visible line at the edge of the filler. Did I miss something? Just more practice perhaps?

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

This surprises me - it is easy to get a very good finish with cellulose filler.

Perhaps you're not sanding enough?

Reply to
Grunff

Yes to the PVA, not sure about plaster... What I'd do is PVA (not weaker than 50/50, perhaps more like 70/30), then Polyfiller - add a drop of PVA to that if desired - but I've had no problems using it either way on PB damaged areas.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Perhaps. I sanded to the point where I was sanding through the paper covering the surrounding good board. Either the board's not flat and / or I'm cack-handed with a sander.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Before you fill, go along the edges with a Stanley knife at about 45 deg to bevel the edges, remove any torn paper/loose bits. Apply dilute PVA then fill just proud with Polyfilla, covering a greater area than you need. When dry, gently sand and brush out the dust. Wet the area again and skim any lowspots, leave to dry again and then sand using a fine grade of paper, sand to a smooth surface. Avoid at all costs sanding the paper face of the plasterboard or you will be chasing your tail ;-)

HTH

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

Try car body filler, easy to sand and feather an edge. If you've got or can borrow a random orbital sander it will sand down beautifully, or a cork sanding block will be OK with a bit of care.

If the paper is worn through try sealing the underlying plaster and/or painting it before sanding.

Polyfilla is plaster based AIUI, so much harder than the surrounding paper.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C