FAQ: Change of FAQ management/editor

Hi Everyone,

Following on from the thread on "FAQ and Wiki" John Rumm has kindly agreed to take over maintenance/development of the UK DIY FAQ. Being a significant contributor to the FAQ and the Wiki, as well as on here he is well placed to do this. I think it only fair that whoever does the work has full control of the diyfaq domain, and so I am transfering it to John, so he will become the new 'owner' of the FAQ which includes the Wiki as a sub-domain.

I'm sure John will welcome more suggestions as to how the FAQ and Wiki should work together, and trust you all join me in thanking him for taking the work on board.

Phil Addison

The UK DIY FAQ is at

UK DIY Wiki is at
UK DIY FAQ can be searched via Google at

Phil Addison

Big well done to both of you!

Reply to
RubberBiker

Good luck John.

I do know that you can do it.

And Thank You Phil for everything that you have done in the past.

All the best

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Hear hear. I duly nominate Phil for the uk.d-i-y Golden Angle-Grinder Award[1]

Owain

[1] An Aldi one, with a d-i-y electroplating kit
Reply to
Owain

Many thanks for the work you have done on it. it has saved me and neighbours a bit of trouble as well as settled arguments.

Reply to
EricP

In article , Phil Addison writes

Best of luck to John.

Reply to
fred

If I could join in with a public thanks to Phil for all the dedicated work over many years. I hope I can continue to the at least maintain the high standards!

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, thanks to both of you for all the input

NT

Reply to
meow2222

seconded

Reply to
geoff

This is one case where a "Me too" is entirely justified. A heartfelt vote of thanks to Phil for the FAQ - and indeed to John for all the contributions he's already made. We know the Wiki will be in good hands.

If there really is such a thing as good karma, you've earned a skip-load!

Reply to
Ian White

Indeed. Many thanks to both chaps.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Agreed - we are in your debt

Reply to
Steve Walker

careful, you might get asked to settle it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

FWIW; Congratulations on maintaining one of the few good newsgroups left on usenet.

Reply to
Devany

Thank you kindly, though of course the very nature of newsgroups is that they are neither maintained nor moderated - not by me nor anybody else. But yes its a damn good newsgroup.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Can you put a link to the Wiki near the top of the FAQ page, and vice- versa. Also how about including a link to the Google groups search for historical posting, whilst stating the preferred method of access for current discussions is to contribute via a News server. (With suggested news servers?)

Reply to
John Weston

Yup, changed the navigation bar in the wiki, and added links to the wiki in the contents and home pages of the FAQ. More links will appear in time to cross reference articles. (you may need to delete your browser cache to see the wiki changes)

Yup that is already there. It is partially covered in the faq already, and I have added a link to the wiki article that covers it in more detail.

Reply to
John Rumm

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

I'll add my 'me too' to all the congrats, well wishes and grateful thanks. It always astounds me how much time some people give to assisting others - altruism at its very best. Thanks

John- I don't know if you remember but some time back there was an Australian 'Rules of the Workshop' floating around. I tried to find it recently for a newly workshopped friend, and in the end had to go back to a mate in Oz to see if he could find it.

He did so and I'd forgotten just how entertaining it is. It is called "The Code of Practice" and runs to about 20 pages as a pdf file. I think we have a 'humour' area - (isn't the canoe buoyancy material story there ?) and I think it would be appropriate in there, but I don't know where about that area is and if it is vetted ('moderated').

Can you assist ?

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

Rob G coughed up some electrons that declared:

Me too :)

The FAQ and Wiki are an extremely rich source of information - but (as a former sysadmin) there is a certain amount of work in actually running them, besides the content.

Thanks to Phil for past efforts and to John for future ones!

BTW - both websites seem to always be available, unlike, say, Rother Council's that is down more times than Paris Hilton's[1] knickers. And the latter probably pay consultants (or is that insultants?) to make theirs so "reliable".

[1]Allegedly, according to certain web videos, which of course, I have no first hand experience of *cough*

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I have seen the videos and I have some right hand experience of her.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth