Fan assisted CH rad

Are there any very nice looking and small ones available? It would have to be surface mounted in a conspicuous position so would have to look good. Output required around 2kW.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They're noisy.

I've got smiths hydronics SFR-7 whatever that is, here. Inset into a stud wall.

Have a look here

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News) wibbled on Wednesday 11 November 2009 22:38

One of the Mysons?

Reply to
Tim W

or the Smiths.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They all look pretty industrial to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A fan assisted rad? Reallly? Never heard of them - I only saw this recently though

mogga

well yes, but the advantage of a fan convector is you can box it in except for the blower outlet.

And I don't think radiators are any prettier. And perforce they need to be exposed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fan convector is the usual term. We had a dozen or so in my church back in Twickenham, a mixture of Myson and larger Dunham Bush units. The fans cutting in and out could be really irritating but I rewired these units to run continuously at one of two speeds.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:19:10 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you don't like the look perhaps fit a cover in front?

Reply to
David Hansen

plastic construction which may not stand up well to prolonged heat from the radiator(s). I like the idea though as we have a large living room with high ceiling and only one large radiator which takes soooooooo long to heat up the room. It would have been better with two radiators in the room but that'll have to wait for another year.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Yes.

It's the bathroom I recently spent a fortune on. It's a little cold. And I'd like the neatest way of boosting the heat. But am further restricted by not being willing to lift the real oak floor. I could fairly easily put a ducted type in a cupboard in the adjoining room, though. Or a surface mount type on that wall. What would match best would be a flush type or grill in polished chrome.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Luckily I don't think this would matter much in a bathroom.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Try Jaga (the DBE models listed under 'top performers' are fan assisted).

Reply to
Bolted

My smiths units are flush mounting with a powder coated cover.

You could throw that away and use any kind of grille you cared to make up.

Not sure how legal for a bathroom tho. Bloody electrical regs. They DO have mains.

Surely a nice chrome towel rail is what u want?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:48:17 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

Kickspace unit under bath.

Of course in a bathroom these all suffer the disadvantage of emitting the heat as hot air, which will then be used to heat the sky via extractor fans or open windows. Something which emits a proportion of the heat radiantly is a better bet.

Reply to
David Hansen

Or even get the grille stripped and chromium plated.

One of the ones on the BHL website has a 12V option.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I made my own with an extra quiet 4" pc fan. It adds 2-3 C heating ability to the room. The site's energy saving claims are not to be taken seriously, it simply increases the radiator output.

NT

Reply to
NT

This is one occasion where it might be worth considering skirting heaters since you're not likely to position additional furniture against skirting.

The heaters can be wet or electric and you can buy the heating elements in

1 metre lengths (from boat chandlers) if you decide to make your own. Originals aren't fan assisted of course but could be if you made your own.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

well you can then run at slightly lower fluid temps, which MAY reduce losses and increase boiler efficiency..MAY being the operative term

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fine idea. Low down heating works well in bathrooms.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher