Fan assisted convector radiator

I have a Spur fan assisted convector radiator (a small radiator with fins with a fan below blowing air through). This was originally fitted in 1977 in a previous house, then taken off and moved here in 1980 and has worked really well, freeing up valuable wall space in a bedroom.

It has recently stopped working, possibly due to build-up of dust around the fan. I've cleaned a lot of this off but the fan only works intermittently. When oiled at the suspension points and helped with a spin, it sometimes works well but eventually stops, with a humming noise from the motor (Mycalex). I haven't dismantled the fan etc so far, just cleaned it through the gaps in the frame (it's very accessible with the case taken off), so it is possible there's some foreign body slowing the fan down.

Has anyone tried dismantling one of these? I'd have to disconnect the electrics and try to get the fan off - though it's possible that this is sealed in some way. Is it likely to be worth a try, or would I be better off just fitting a new one?

Thanks for any advice.

John

Reply to
John

old shaded pole motors often just need a clean and lube.

NT

Reply to
meow2222