Fan Assisted Radiators

I'm looking for a fan-assisted radiator for my kitchen that operates as part of the central heating system. I've found several places that sell the Sapce Saver made by Smiths which will suit my requirements but I can't find any alternatives. Can anyone suggest any ?

Reply to
Chalkie

Try

and select the options under fan convectors

PeterK

Reply to
PeterK

We've got the Myson KickSpace heater and it's brilliant. Have a look at:

with flexi-hoses for easy connection to the central heating pipework. There's a temperature sensor in them so that it only starts up when the CH water reaches a certain temp and I've got it wired into a thermostat in the kitchen so that it doesn't operate all the time that the CH is on, but only when we want it on.

John.

Reply to
John

of the central heating

which will suit my

Try an Air Source Heat Pump. Check out

for information whether it would be viable for your home.

Reply to
Grow Your Own Energy

of the central heating

which will suit my

OH please ! The man wanted a fan-assisted radiator - not a heat pump..... Am I the only one reading UK-diy who's getting a bit tired of the constant (and often irrelevant) promotion of your website ??

I'm a lifelong supported of alternative energy, but think that you may be doing your company no good whatsoever by what amounts to spamming this newsgroup ......

What exactly _is_ growyourownenergy.co.uk ? Who are you and how are you funded ? Are you anything more than another tele-web-marketing organisation, getting percentage kickbacks from the suppliers & installers ??

Sorry to be blunt - but but recommending a heatpump when the man wanted a fan-assisted radiator...... really !

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

No!.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Ah, that's a relief - I thought I was just having a 'grumpy moment'

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

No, you're not alone.

From their website:

"Air source heat pumps have a typical overall installed system cost of between £3,500 and £4,500"

Quite amusing compared to £180ish for a kickspace convector.

Reply to
Steve Firth

myson did one, I have had one for years. try

they will be able to put you in touch with a stockist.

dave

Reply to
dave

Sorry for offending you.

Anyhow we are partially grant funded and not a telesales operation. We are an advice centre for which heating is just one area of our remit, so I'm sure you're more expert in areas of DIY. In my experience, some (but I admit not all) people who are researching appreciate a suggestion. Chalkie did say "can anyone suggest an y alternatives?" I agree with you though that s/he asked for something particular and I offered something actually quite different. Sorry.

Just offering a free service, I made two posts today and three last week. If you have no interest sorry to have worried you. At least my suggestion was vaguely related to heating!

Reply to
Grow Your Own Energy

Why are the prices on your website so ludicrous? We have an air heat pump installed in one home, the price was EUR 500 including fitting. It's not a good solution BTW, yes it reduces electricity use but they are noisy and no one likes the draft they create.

We looked at pellets stoves but dismissed them, however the prices you quote are at least double the installed prices of any of the units we looked at. There's also no mention on your site of the larger semi-commercial boiler which work from wood chippings which are easier for the householder to create themselves and the hoppers are huge so the boiler can work unattended for several days.

I couldn't be bothered to look further.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But think of how much money you will save with the air source heat pump ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We're having a ground-source heat pump installed - and they're quoting in the region of 10k euro (which is a lot less than the 10,000 UK pounds they're quoting - but there was a heck of a lot of earth-moving involved in our particular case....

Mostly out of morbid curiousity I did complete their 'free questionnaire' - based on the 4-bed bungaolw in Suffolk where we lived until last September.

I expressed an interest in ground-source heat pump & wind generation.

The questionnaire response suggested that I should consider one or more of the following :-

Solar Water Heater (did that - worked well - cost a fraction of what their website quoted) Solar electricity - (you can't be serious !!) Ground source heat pump - fair enough Air source heat pump - equally fair Wood pellet boiler - OK

So - I wonder why the expert recommendation should be for solar electricity - of which their own website says

"Although prices are likely to fall, solar photovoltaic (PV) panels are still very expensive for the amount of electricity generated. However they have come a long way and some highly sophisticated systems are now available, including conventional roof tile replacements that can be fitted onto regular roof battens.

Whilst you won?t get your money back in electricity bill savings you may get a better price for your property when you sell it ? we have reports of home owners being willing to pay up to 10% more for new homes with integrated solar electricity. "

All very strange......

Still can't see where Growyourown energy gets its money from - there's no clue on the website - and, if it's claiming impartiality, then it must be 'growing-their-own-money' - which is a good trick if you can do it !

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Mine was £440 IIRC, but that was DIY install. It's useful for quickly heating a room from a cold start when you haven't had the central heating on, or if you only want to heat that one room. However, it doesn't work when temperature goes below about 6C outdoors, as it spends more time running defrost cycles and sending clouds of mist across the back garden than it does heating. Your comments about draft are valid too (mine doesn't make enough noise to worry me). It was bought for its cooling capability -- the heating was just an added bonus.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

|!In article , |! Steve Firth writes: |!> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:01:13 +0000, Adrian wrote: |!> |!>> OH please ! |!>> The man wanted a fan-assisted radiator - not a heat pump..... |!>> Am I the only one reading UK-diy who's getting a bit tired of the |!>> constant (and often irrelevant) promotion of your website ?? |!> |!> No, you're not alone. |!> |!> From their website: |!> |!> "Air source heat pumps have a typical overall installed system cost of |!> between ?3,500 and ?4,500" |! |!Mine was ?440 IIRC, but that was DIY install. |!It's useful for quickly heating a room from a cold start when you |!haven't had the central heating on, or if you only want to heat |!that one room. However, it doesn't work when temperature goes |!below about 6C outdoors,

What use is that? My house barely needs the heating on if the outside temperature is 10-15 deg C or above. Solar gain, 100-200W per person, waste heat from domestic appliances keeps the place warm.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I had a very good wall mounted Myson in a living room once (quiet but high output). More recently I put a Smiths kickspace one in the kitchen (ISTR the ng reckoned Smiths were quieter than Myson) and in the end took it out again and found a bit of wall for a wall radiator; I didn't really find the output satisfactory on the high setting, and even on the low it was distractingly noisy. Basically that sheet metal resonance rattle rather than fan noise. I looked for spots to apply damping but nothing seemed to work.

Reply to
Newshound