Extractor Fan Duct _ Where to Buy?

Hi all

Have installed Xpelair fan in downstairs toilet, but need to duct the outlet through a kitchen loft.

Where can I get 100mm duct and elbows and compatible external wall grill. I am not a lover of internet shopping so would prefer a local distributor. Intend to use plastic rather than galvanised.

Prefer supplier in East Yorkshire.

Sheds all seem to stock spiral wound flexi stuff or rectangular. As I need to route across 4m with 2 or 3 bends, intend to use circular smooth bore for performance.

Any ideas appreciated

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It is available in B&Q round here. You should find a bigger shop. Some electrical wholesalers stock it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"Christian McArdle"wrote

Thanks again Christian! Unfortunately our B & Q warehouse (large) doesn't seem to stock this, just the aluminium foil stuff or rectangular.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

TLC do it. And they have branches around the contry.

Tournifreak

"Tournifreak" wrote

and then only in 900mm max lengths. I am looking for 2 or 3 elbows and a route distance close to 5m (yes I know I could use loads of couplings before anyone suggests this)

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Lengths of soil pipe. A problem might be manouvering longer lengths into place.

Reply to
<me9

4" drain pipe?

Try and slope the pipe towards the exit to allow condensation to drain out.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Your best bet is Screwfix online. Easy and convenient. Convert th

100mm to a flat duct. Makes it easier to run and terminate.

Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

Wickes sell it.

Marley make it

Reply to
John

I got some from BES. Like TLC they have branches all over.

marvelous

Have a look at

haven't checked out their prices yet, but I believe that they are a lot cheaper than everybody else for ducting.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Reply to
Rick

if its just for smells just vent into the loft adding great lengths of ducting will reduce the air flow rate my extract fan reduces by 50% over a two metre run check the instructions with yours

Reply to
Mr Fixit

"Mr Fixit" wrote

this can't comply with building regs, surely?

the fan is sized to cope with ducting, but I intended to fit smooth bore duct to reduce the pressure losses. If the concertina style hose is used, then, yes, the losses are horrendous.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Use Osma Soil push fit, available from any BM.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

if you don't tell them I wont either, my toilet is vented straight into my single story extension loft and no one batted an eyelid on the final inspection (possible they never noticed)

Reply to
Mr Fixit

So what kind of filter do you employ to let the "smells" through but keep the hot moisture-laden air out?

Just venting into the loft sounds as sensible as sweeping dust under a carpet - out of sight, out of mind.

For my limited DIY experience I'd plump for venting outside and not some half-baked-but-easy bodge. I'd also go for the previously-suggested BES website and buy a "damper" as well to stop backdraughts.

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo

why is my toilet hot and moisture laden ???? I don't use a bath, shower ,dishwasher, tumble drier,ETC its a toilet and the only reason I fitted a fan was to vent smells

Reply to
Mr Fixit

The presumption is that either there is a radiator in it (I know, you'll now tell me that it doesn't have) or that the door to the loo is not hermetically sealed and there isn't a door closer on it. Probably the door may be left open, hence warm air from the rest of the house will move in to the toilet room. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean that its not there.

But the fan doesn't discriminate smells from moisture-laden air. And as much as you only fitted it for one purpose, you have installed something that will naturally do more than you proscribe. So the concern is that you have inadvertently fitted something that may be to the detriment of your house. Whilst there is no legislation to stop this, there must be merit in not repeating the mistake in other people's houses.

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo

why is it to the detriment to my house ? the air being blown into the loft is no more moisture laden than rest of the house or even as moisture laden as the outside world to which my loft is subject and vented to , I am not pumping in gallons of water into a hermetically sealed loft and today the humidity outside is 77% and inside its 60%???

Reply to
Mr Fixit

Moist air will condense when it is cooled. Pump moist air into a cold loft and you are inviting condensation with all the problems that that can cause (wet rot for one).

Taking one day out of the lifetime of a house is not exact science, is it?

Often the outside temperature will be much lower than your toilet (presuming you do use heating). Since your loft is vented to the outside, it will follow the temperature of the outside. You don't need "gallons" to do damage - just enough to encourage growth.

You seem insistent that your particular "solution" is so worthwhile that you encourage others to duplicate it. Though there are some Building Control regulations that seem illogical, most are the product of bitter experience.

I still feel that venting to the outside is by far the best practise, and I hope that you don't concur in the future having had bitter experience by taking the easy route.

As I tell my kids, there are often two ways to tackle any task: the easy way or the correct way.

Sincere best regards to Mr Fixit.

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo