External backups

I'll be moving my WD MyCloud NAS (that Huge for some reason thinks is not a backup device) to a remote location - as soon as I figure out site-site VPN on my Vigor.

Reply to
Tim Watts

BTW before we end up arguing the toss, you do know it's just a standalone NAS box with a silly "cloud" type name?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I use WD Passport USB3 drives (2 TB). Three of them, used in rotation, always one out of the house. I've only had them a short time but they've been reliable so far. Previously I used Samsung S2 drives (1 TB) that worked fine for several years but I ditched them because I needed the extra capacity.

Windows Backup for the C drive (Windows, software) AJC Sync for the D drive (documents) into a passworded TrueCrypt volume AJC Sync for the M drive (media files)

Mike Barnes

It's a NAS. NAS != Backup. The fact that you're using a complicated, expensive NAS device for backup is your problem, not mine.

Reply to
Huge

NAS != backup

Reply to
Huge

What?

Of course it's a bloody backup if all it's doing is backing up a copy of

*another* server (or 3 other servers in the case).

It is not different to any other disk based backup system - I have built many over the years both for work and for home - some use homebrew scripts plus rsync, others like this use rsnapshot plus rsync and my work one uses Veeam Backup for backing up an entire ESXi cluster to an offsite NAS (well, strictly a linux head plus SAS raid box, but as a blob it's more or less a NAS).

Reply to
Tim Watts

You're clearly missing the point - what do you think I am doing? Do you think this NAS is where my primary data lives and that somehow I regard RAID as a backup?

Or do you regard backup systems as tape based only?

Nope - it's a backup server. Primary data is on 3 other servers.

Reply to
Tim Watts

hardware? hdd is OK.and it's depends on your budget. software: aomei backupper is great

Reply to
qixingy

Hardware: 3x usb hdd. Be aware the cheaper plastic cased ones overheat if you put lots of data on at once Software: why? Select, copy, paste

NT

Reply to
meow2222
8<

versioning.

Reply to
dennis

putting multiple backups on one external disc covers that, though not with as many versions as ongoing incremental backup software

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you're happy to do things manually, your requirements must be very simple indeed. I wouldn't contemplate doing it without software, even for a microsecond.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

The back strategy must depend on usage and what you can afford to lose.

If running a business with (new) customer records, payments, stock control etc. then perhaps daily backups are necessary. These could be the incremental type to save on backup disk space.

For my home computer I do a complete disk clone to an external USB using Acronis software around once a month (or sooner if anything major has changed). I have a number of external disks that I rotate. I also have another external USB disk where I just back-up a few folders that contain data that I change on a regular basis.

If the disk completely fails in my laptop (1 occurrence in around 10 years of owning laptops) I can just physically replace it with a clone disk and all is up and running again. If its just a file corrupted then plug the clone into the USB and its just a copy and paste operation.

Reply to
alan

Linux live disk then, as root,

# dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb1/mybackup.img sync,conv=noerror bs=4096

Free, simple, reliable. :-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I don't hold with any of this 'cloud' bollocks. What's to stop 'them' at some future time holding you to randsom over your data? Plus there's the fact that you're trusting 'them' with maintaining the integrity of your data - and trusting 'they' won't snoop into it. And don't try to tell me encryption solves this issue.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Trust.

You have to balance that against the mitigation of risk to your data from the fact that you always have a fully automatic, version-controlled off- site backup of your data. Season gently with the ease of ensuring data across multiple machines is always consistent.

So, basically, it comes down to whether the CIA give the first toss about my holiday photos vs protection against hardware failure...I know where I sit, on the balance of probabilities.

Reply to
Adrian

And your pictures of your naked granddaughter in the bath[1] - you'll have the paedo SWAT team breaking down your doors with SO19 as backup if anyone notices those!

[1] Which breaks no laws at all in said context.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Trust my arse. I prefer to trust no one. I'm always immediately suspicious when anyone who doesn't know me - especially a large corporation - offers to do me a big favour. Call me paranoid if you like, I don't give a shit. Look at all those suckers who used the wonderful free webmail services like Yahoo Mail and Gmail and such like. Who'd have thought they were all being spied on, eh? Oh, and swamped with trashy 'news' items and adverts! I'm not trusting my hard-acquired data to no c*unt, thanks. I can see a situation arising in the future when, just like your bank account can get frozen without warning, so can access to your data. Fuck that for a lark.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

In message , Cursitor Doom writes

I'm pretty sure that you ahev some level of trust in soem situations, otherwise life would be hard wrok.

My offsite backups aren't provided as a favour, I pay for the service.

I do have local and other backups, but I also like to know that my data is also reasonably secure somewhere a long way from my location (it has also been useful to me when there was a failure (aka a cockup on my part) to backup localy some data properly

I use it for some of my mail, frankly it doesn't bother me.

I'm not.

That is indeed an issue (and there have been a number of cases of people getting locked out of their email account). My response to that is to use an IMAP mail client and keep copies of my email data locally as well.

Reply to
chris French

I use Crashplan which enables you to automatically backup to multiple locat ions. I have a local backup in case of disk failure of the primary (just h ad one!) and cloud backup to their offering. You can also do remote backup to a friend who also has Crashplan if you wanted to and don't trust their cloud offering.

Reply to
Lee Nowell