Exterior glossing

Lobster laid this down on his screen :

Probably nothing....

My outside paint which faces the sun lasts a very short time. We found the micro porous (not sure of the actual name, but the stuff reputed to allow the wood to breath) outside gloss paint lasts a little longer than most.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've been having problems getting paint to stay on my window frames and sills (exterior). With several of mine, which I've painted over the last 1-3 years, the paint (that's primer, undercoat and gloss) has just flaked off right down to the bare wood. I don't know how long I should expect exterior gloss to last, but there are one or two windows which I still haven't touched since moving in 10 years ago, and they look in better nick now than some I painted 2 years ago.

What am I likely to be doing wrong? I've always stripped the old paint back to bare wood (usually with a hot air gun), sanded it smooth, ensured everything is clean and perfectly dry before painting.

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

When you have sanded the wood down rub it down with white spirits then let it dry out for 30 minutes then paint.

Any paint that peels off from the wood hasn't bonded to the surface because of grease,grime ect and also it could be cheap paint?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Hmmm! all the houses on my side of the street face the sun only two house have been painted in the last three years, wonder how much the occupants paid for the paint?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

One of the drawbacks with hot air guns (as opposed to blowlamps) is that they overheat the wood and bring the resin to the surface. This, as well as the inevitable charring, is not a good surface for the new paint, especially if it's water based.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I have had a good degree of success with Sadolin white woodstain. I found out about it through this group about 4 years ago and used it to decorate for the first time over builders finish. It s sticking well and has coped well with an exposed windowsill which flaked badly. the sill was stripped, filled with 2 part filler and then painted with one coat For the rest of the house, loose paint was stripped and one coat applied. It has been very effective, but does not give a high gloss finish

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race