Extending the life of exterior ply exposed to rain

The endless carport rebuild approaches the point at which it can be roofed. Prior to doing so I have to fit the sides where it extends over garage and rear extension. My plan is to use exterior ply panels. These will be removable once the carport is roofed to allow for easy replacement but I want to increase their life as much as possible. What can I treat the ply with? Any rain which drains off the treated surface feeds a pond in my back garden and which contains newts. Therefore I can't use anything that is hazardous to fish etc. I've looked at Creoseal which (a) doesn't soak into the ply, (b) has a nasty oily run-off and (c) according to the tin is definitely not fish- friendly.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
RJS

RJS expressed precisely :

Could you instead use plastic soffit panels? Fit and forget.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Well you can use marine ply but it costs and arm and a leg. Why don't you use plastic coated steel roof profile. The suppliers cut it to size for you.

Reply to
harry

+1, used this for walls and roof of a little lean-to shelter
Reply to
newshound

Nothing. It lasts for absolutely years as it is - provided it's decent quality in the first place.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I had an offcut I found in the garden at my old house. I used it a as temporary cover to the kitchen drain, stop leaves getting in. I never treated it - still in tip top condition some 6 years later. Amazing stuff.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

Will - either temporarily until a better solution is found or permanently because I will stop looking for one - fit the bits of exterior ply and monitor their deterioration!

Ta to all.

Richard

Reply to
RJS