HELP: Protection for exposed exterior wood

I live in northern California, in the Central Valley. I have a long exterior wall with a southern exposure that gets INTENSE summer sun and the brunt of winter rain and fog.

My exterior siding is texture 111, and I have a door and 3 windows on that wall. I replaced the door with a pre-hung Stanley metal exterior door 3 years ago. It was pre-primed. I painted the door and jambs and all the window trim with high quality exterior paint. Its all gone, peeled off and disintegrated, down to bare wood. THe paint on the T-111 is looking pretty bad too.

Any suggestions as to wood preservative, primer, paint, &tc. to use that will last?

Thanks a heap,

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

If what you did pealed it probably wasnt done right. If its really all bare wood, you are lucky, I would stain it, and not paint it, with first oil stain to seal the wood. The most important thing you likely did wrong was paint a warm- hot surface, or in sun. You dont want to paint a warn-hot surface heated from sun or one that will be soon in sun. I know its hard to plan but after the sun passes or a cloudy day is best. Even after sun passes surfaces cant be hot if you expect paint to last. Go to a real paint store that sells only paint and use what they recomend. Most paint issues are errors of the painter. If you must have paint old fashioned oil primer and latex top coat is best. Not quick dry primers. Stain done right will not peel, it will just wear away but need recoating sooner than paint. If it was me id spray it with oil stain, and in a few weeks or next year spray it again with latex stain, oil as a first coat will stop any bleed through that might happen and get deeper into the wood.

Reply to
ransley