Exterior Wood Door

Its not that hard - First of all. Is the door you are looking at an exterior door? I haven't seen exterior doors at the orange store that were not pre-hung. Make sure it is and exterior door.

BTW - Can you wait a bit? if you are willing to wait and to drive to Lancaster County PA (Not too far from Baltimore, under 2 hours for sure) There is an auction Thursday October 13th in Leola PA. They will likely have your door for a great price.

Check out

I'm not affiliated but have attended and bought from them many times. Doors go for $1 quite often when no one else is bidding for it. If you do end up with a door that is not pre-hung its really not too big a deal to hang it. let me know if you go, I may be there and I'll say hello and guide you through how this auction works. Bring a truck and a friend there are lots of good deals to be had. (Cabinets, plumbing, electrical, sometimes tools, lumber sheet goods, tile, windows, doors and some just regular junk)

I bought an exterior slab door (not prehung) in wood, 6 true divided lights for $35. It probably cost me another $50 for the materials for the jambs and threshhold and hinges. Took a bit longer to install than prehung as well but it looks great.

Reply to
No

I put an addition on my house and I need to put on a door. It is an older house, so I would like to use a wood, 9 light door. I saw the exact one I liked at Home Depot, but it wasn't pre hung, for $150. I asked if they had it pre hung, and they said special order for $475. They use to have a manufacturer that would do it for $275, but they no longer carry them. Does anyone know of a place where I could get what I want for a reasonable price, preferably in the Baltimore area?

Thanks

BTW, I wouldn't know where to begin to frame up a door, but installing a pre hung I have done before.

Reply to
Steve

i just did a 36" wood ex door . for the hinges you just lay the old door on the new one and mark the hinge lines off the old ones and chip them out with a wood chisle. mark the lock bolt posision on the new door with the old one on top of it. there is a jig for 12.00 at home depot you line up with the marks on the bolt hole and drill the bolt and knob holes with the hole saws in the jig kit.i used a 12v portable drill... i was wary about doing it cause i never had , but it fit right up.i used the old hinges ,never took the hinge off the opening,just drove out the pins.(sorry i didnt answer your question.but if you can do a prehung door i would bet you could do that wood door job) lucas

Reply to
ds549

Have you tried Lowes?

Plus hanging a door is not very hard. Even a really hard one involving a lot of shaving of the door only take me a day. Use a router and a router template to make the hinge mortise (I also used a corner chisel and special centering drill bits). Exactly where in Baltimore?

Reply to
scott21230

Exactly what is a 9 light door?

Reply to
scott21230

Window apertures in solid doors are called lights. Presumably a 9-light door has nine such windows.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

I suggest you consider buying a prehung door of the same size but a cheaper model and throwing away the door. You will have to do some adjusting with the hinges and latch, but it should go pretty quick and be a hell of a lot easier than doing it from scratch.

Reply to
Sherman

HD sells precut 3 pce doorjamb kits..Begin there.

Reply to
Rudy