exterior grade plywood doesn't like rain

i used wbp exterior grade plywood from wickes to build a long box for timber offcuts. the box has a hinged lid treated with preservative and is kept outside my garden shed. after a few weeks and some rain the plywood lid's top veneers started to curl up and splinter. isn't wbp exterior grade ply supposed to be waterproof? or is only one surface of the ply waterproof? if so how does one tell which surface should be exposed to the elements? TIA.

Reply to
ernie mendoza

Sounds to me like you didn't get what you asked for. I've had some bits of WBP 20mm ply outside, uncovered, leaving in a wall with bottom edge directly on the soil and they are still in good condition after a year or two. Not perfect but not falling apart...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The message from ernie mendoza contains these words:

Only if you're very lucky.

Reply to
Guy King

Sounds like your "exterior grade" was not WBP. IME WBP will last for years exposed to the elements without delaminating.

Reply to
John Rumm

I recall a Groundforce show where Mr Titch left a sheet of alledged WBP out in the rain overnight and it delaminated.

What does WBP stand for anyway?

Wickes describe it as: 'Ideal for exterior joinery'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Water and Boil Proof I thought - God knows why anyone would want the boil proof feature though.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

is it to tell you cannot steam and bend it?

Reply to
Huge

According to Wikipedia; -

Plywood meant for indoor use generally uses the less expensive phenol formaldehyde glue (which has limited water resistance), while outdoor and marine grade plywood are designed to withstand rot and use a water resistant phenol-resorcinol glue to prevent delamination and retain strength in high humidity.

But;-

grade plywood (WBP - Weather and Boil Proof). This type of plywood can be used outside. Water-resistant adhesives are used and can resist a certain amount of moisture.

Uses: -Sheds and cladding are made from this material.

Weather boiled proof plywood requires paint or varnish to protect the outer veneer from the elements.

So; one may use WBP for exterior work ...but the outer 'plies' aren't weather proof!

[IANAL ... I didn't realise about weather-proofing WPB though!]
Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Good info Brian, thanks - but why would anyone want to boil plywood?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from "Nick" contains these words:

Wash, not water, I believe.

Reply to
Guy King

It takes quite a time to tenderise it, it's not good roasted or grilled.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I would take a large pinch of salt with anything coming from wikipedia. Best to verify their "facts" from a makers or similar site...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And thats it.

It will stand a shower and boiling water poured on it, but not continuous soaking.

You need marine ply for that..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I presume it is talking of the possibility of it being deformed or delaminated by blisters caused by boiling of trapped moisture or thermoplastic glues. So if you leave a damp bit sat in the sun it should not be damaged.

Reply to
John Rumm

I thought that the only thing extra marine gave you was a guarentee of no voids in the board?

Reply to
John Rumm

I guess you didn't / couldn't / wouldn't recognise the reference to a _second_ source?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

My understanding, which may be completely wrong, is that when left out in the sun, some particles of water within the board will boil in local pockets, causing delamination from the expanding gas.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

And a guaranteed big void in your wallet...

Though for the OPs application shuttering ply might be best.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

Sounds very unlikely. More likely is that water penetrates in some areas only, and the grain swells only in those places. Since the rest of the board can't move the grain pops up in those characteristic long blisters, which would fit in with it being the wood swelling as the blisters align across the direction of expansion.

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember ernie mendoza saying something like:

Seems to be pot luck these days. Much supposed WBP is crap or simply mis-sold non-WPB, whereas a sheet of WBP I used as an exterior workshop door extension some 8 years ago is perfectly fine in all weathers and has shown no signs of de-laminating at all without a scrap of paint on it. Only thing I did was seal the top edge.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon