Evostick Serious Glue

Excellent stuff - if a tad pricey.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

what price effectiveness ?

btw, have you seen that sticks like sh*t from evostik it's advertised in professional builder magazine. it's pricey, but it really does stick when everything is wet.

Reply to
.

What's it for? (never heard of it)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Just about anything to anything. Came across it in of all places Tesco, and decided to try it. Stuck together two bits of flexible plastic (not sure if the same type) and it's worked better than any other I've tried.

It's fairly slow drying, though. Can be adjusted for about 20 minutes and sets in 2 hours. Full strength after 24. The thickness doesn't seem to matter either - so it's handy for irregular surfaces.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe that would work for vinyl flooring. I need to re-stick a load of it, but cant use the usual impact adhesive due to the excessive fumes. Is sticks like sht fumey stinkey? I assume its not water based.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No fumes at all. But probably too expensive for large areas. It's over 4 quid for a tube.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Evostick's version of a gripfill? Packaged and priced for the supermarkets?

Just had the worst of the windows done here, I had hoped the old window ledges inside would be OK for a while but they more or less disintegrated along with the old frames. B-( Quick dash to a shed for cheap white work top (decent ledges here 400mm, deep) and the window fitters donated several tubes of Dow Cornings "Grip Fill".

This stuff is a yuky green/brown and sticks/fills *very* well but unlike "no more nails" doesn't set brittle (like polyfilla etc) but remains compliant just like traditional Evostick impact adhesive. Sticks to brick, timber and metal very well, rather to well in the case of the metal tools it came into contact with...

Does this "Evostick Serious Glue" stick plastic milk bottles together, that is polyethelene? Most other adhesives won't.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

thanks. Should be ok for non-continuous gluing tho, ie lines of it rather than all over.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I dont think anything can stick polythene unless you flame the surface first.

Maybe we should collect these reviews, would be quite handy as an adhesives faq

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No - the two exceptions mentioned are polythene and polypropylene. Luckily, I rarely want to stick milk bottles together.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

An adhesive FAQ would be an excellent idea. I keep on seeing things like Gorilla glue etc and have no idea if it's just say a US name for a product already available in the UK under a different name.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Gorilla glue is a polyurethane adhesive. It's similar to Bison glue which is sold in the UK. IIRC it does not foam, so it's not the same as the polyurethane woodworking adhesives sold by Screwfix.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hear, hear.

T'would be an excellent additional section in the uk.d-i-y FAQ. Think a basic start on the various types of glue out there and their uses would be a good start, then worry about trade names etc. So what do we have:

Epoxy (araldite...) Impact (Evostick...) Starch (wall paper paste, I think that is starch based...) Cyanoacrylate (super glues...) PVA (wood, building...) Solvent (polystyrene cement, solvent weld plumbing)

Where does Copydex, Gripfill, No More Nails fit into this?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

|On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:27:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: | |> An adhesive FAQ would be an excellent idea. I keep on seeing things |> like Gorilla glue etc and have no idea if it's just say a US name for a |> product already available in the UK under a different name. | |Hear, hear. | |T'would be an excellent additional section in the uk.d-i-y FAQ. Think a |basic start on the various types of glue out there and their uses would |be a good start, then worry about trade names etc. So what do we have: | |Epoxy (araldite...) |Impact (Evostick...) |Starch (wall paper paste, I think that is starch based...) |Cyanoacrylate (super glues...) |PVA (wood, building...) |Solvent (polystyrene cement, solvent weld plumbing) | |Where does Copydex, Gripfill, No More Nails fit into this?

Good idea but it would require a lot of research :-( Kind of you to volunteer :-O

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

A starting point is better than nothing others can expand the headings and their content. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

|On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:51:56 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote: | |> |So what do we have: |> | |> |Epoxy (araldite...) |> |Impact (Evostick...) |> |Starch (wall paper paste, I think that is starch based...) |> |Cyanoacrylate (super glues...) |> |PVA (wood, building...) |> |Solvent (polystyrene cement, solvent weld plumbing) |> | |> |Where does Copydex, Gripfill, No More Nails fit into this? |> |> Good idea but it would require a lot of research :-( |> Kind of you to volunteer :-O | |A starting point is better than nothing others can expand the headings |and their content. B-)

OK. I once knew which was used araldite on an industrial scale, I will do Epoxy.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Copydex is latex. I dont know bout the other 2.

Wallpaper paste was starch long ago, but has gone thru several different technologies since then.

The wiki adhesives page isnt much use, but this one has some relevant content:

meow2222

I *think* I know what you mean. ;-)

But don't get hopes up by mentioning industrial types that can't be bought in reasonable quantities.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

|In article , | Dave Fawthrop wrote: |> I once knew which was used araldite on an industrial scale, I will do |> Epoxy. | |I *think* I know what you mean. ;-)

I must proof read my posts I must proof read my posts I must proof read my posts I must proof read my posts I must proof read my posts I must proof read my posts.

|But don't get hopes up by mentioning industrial types that can't be bought |in reasonable quantities.

They must be *mentioned* as some body somewhere will need them

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

PVA based, I think. Most of the cartridge No More Nails style glues are.

Reply to
Guy King