Electric hob and oven

Sorry, more noob questions!

I'm planning a new kitchen. The present electric cooker runs off a 32A spur. I could just replace it with a new one, but would prefer a separate hob and oven. The cooker incorporates a 13 amp socket and I can find an oven that uses 13A or less. That leaves just under 20A available for the hob, ie about

5kw. Amazingly, I am struggling to find the power consumption of many hobs, and those I have tracked down seem to be a bit higher, more like 6-7kw. Any suggestions, please?
Reply to
GB

In a word DIVERSITY - "The first 10A of the rated current plus 30% of the remainder of the rated current plus 5A for an integral socket ".

Reply to
cynic

Well, I agree that **in practice** a 32A socket will run cooking appliances with a much higher load. The rings switch themselves on and off all the time, so even with the oven and all 4 rings on, nearly all the time you'll be running at much less than the rated current. I just didn't think you were allowed to bank on that.

Reply to
GB

I'll bet if you find the load plate for your existing cooker you will find out that is exactly what you have been doing.

The OSG gives a maximum of 15kW for a household cooker with a 32A supply.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In practice (for domestic use) a 32A supply is more than adequate for even a fairly large cooker. To work out what your design current for the circuit is, take 10A plus 30% of the remaining load. Add on another 5A if you have a general purpose socket on the cooker point as well.

So for a 6.5kW hob, and a 3.2kW oven that is a 42A peak load. So if you provision a circuit to supply 10 + 30% x 32 = 19.6A

Reply to
John Rumm

I could see that working in practice - I just hadn't expected it to be allowed by the regs. Thanks.

I've seen overloading quite recently. I lent my extension lead to a builder to run his steam stripper off. He did not think to wind it all off the drum, and the first I knew about it was when my PC went off. He had melted the drum completely as well as enough of the cable sheath to cause a short circuit. Even 5 minutes later the cable drum was too hot to touch.

Reply to
GB

So how much can I run on bellwire in conduit with fan cooling? And neutral earthing :)

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Diversity plays a part in quite a number of places in the regs, from the number of sockets you stick on a circuit, to the way you count the total load of circuits at a CU etc. There is a whole appendix on it in the OSG...

(might be worth doing a wiki page on it in fact)

Yup, heat when it has no escape path can soon pose a real problem in circumstances like that. That's why calculating the current carrying capacity of a cable can be so complicated in some installation conditions.

Reply to
John Rumm

As much as you like... just can't tell you for how long ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

That's an interesting and useful warning. I've been trying to dry out after a huge water leak from the flat above, with the usual level of help from the inusurers [I swear that typo was an accident; the subconscious in action again] who still haven't got dehumidifier etc. in place.

My home-brew extension cord works well, but the drum unit I use for outdoor work overheats. Not to the point of melting, and I've been assuming that it was a flaky socket rather than the tightly-wound cable which was responsible, but now I'm wondering. Cable diameter suggests rather thin conductors so fairly high resistance, despite the claim of a 13A. rating.

Reply to
Windmill

Usually they contain warnings saying 13A fully unwound or 5A wound etc,

Reply to
John Rumm