Proving Power to Gas Hob & Electric Oven

Hi,

I've search the newsgroup but I've been left confused as to the best way to achieve my goal.

I'm planning the wiring for my kitchen and will be doing the work myself, followed by the respective BCO visits (before anyone asks ;) ).

I will be having a gas hob and an electric single oven (below the counter under the hob) and I need to provide power to both. I would like the solution to be elegant enough that in time the gas hob could be easily swapped for an electric hob, without having to add extra power connections to do so.

My plan is to have a separate ring circuit (2.5mm) for the kitchen and a dedicated (from the CU) radial circuit (6mm) for the cooker and hob. However I can't work out the best way to connect everything to the circuit.

Is it acceptable to have the 45A cooker switch above the counter, linked to either a cooker plate (the type that can be wired into), or to a double unswitched (13A presumably) socket into which both the cooker and hob can be plugged? Either option would be hidden away under the counter. The cooker plate method would require both appliances to be wired on to the same block, effectively acting as a junction box.

Is there a better way to do this? I'm hoping to minimise the number of above counter isolating switches if I can help it.

Reply to
thankyousam

as far as gas cut off, i.e gas tap you only require it to be accessible and obviously present. i don't know about leccy regs but it will be an 'always on' switch so as for hiding it just put it out of sight but easyily accessible.

prolly some nic will kick off about that comment!

Reply to
Gav

cooker switch must be accessible and should be within 2m of the appliance.

It depends on whether your oven is suitable for

Reply to
Owain

Oops, of course I meant Providing Power, not proving power. I'm happy about the gas feed, just how to get electricity to the two appliances in the correct fashion.

Reply to
thankyousam

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:15:01 GMT someone who may be thankyousam wrote this:-

Step 1, read the instructions for the oven and find out what size of protective device is needed to protect it.

Step 2, ditto for the hob.

Step 3 depends on the answers to the first two steps. However assuming that the answers are 20A and 3A:-

Step 3, install a protective device suitable for the oven at the consumer unit. Install a cable, suitable for use later with an electric hob as well, to a cooker switch. Install a cable of the same size from there to a cooker outlet.

Step 4, install a cable (which may be of a smaller size, as long as it will be protected by the device in the consumer unit) from the cooker outlet to the oven.

Step 5, install a cable (same size as step 4) from the cooker outlet to a suitably placed fused connection unit.

There are a number of other options, all equally valid depending on circumstances.

Reply to
David Hansen

One of the other posters have given you a very good five point plan to follow RE the Leccy, only thing I would add is that you should check at an early stage that the particular oven and hob are suitable for mounting over/under each other (and within the cabinet you have in mind) Seems pretty stupid that you can't just mix and match anything, but you can't (even if sticking to the one manufacturer!). Download the instructions for each appliance from the web (if available and you don't already have them) and read, read, read.

Do come back with any questions, and to let us know what you did!

Also, it might be worth running your intended method past the BCO if you are going for part taking the pee, and again report back if there is a problem.

Reply to
zikkimalambo