electric fan oven

Hi all, I've got an electric fan oven here. The element blew about 2 months ago, which I changed myself easily after shutting down all the electrics in the house (I don't like messing with 240V :-) ).

A few days ago it started making a rattling noise, which coincided with the bulb inside blowing. I've not changed the bulb, but I've checked the housing and it seems tight. The rattling noise seems to come from the fan itself, but isn't constant. It's not shelves or similar (they are all removable and the noise is still there once they've been taken out).

Just got a few questions - is it possible for someone not amazing with DIY to fix a fan in a fan oven? Is it likely to be a big job (it's a fairly standard oven). Or is it likely to be more cost effective to just get a new cheap oven to tide me over to moving house in a few years? Had a very quick look online, been quoted £125 for a cheap oven and £85 fitting - is this reasonable, and how big a job is changing an oven? I wouldn't do it myself, I've got friends who are good with electrics and everything cable/switch wise was fitted by a proper electrician some years ago.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Yes. A rattle is probably a screw loose on the fan fitting. Most are dead east to take apart, not even needing to be taken out of the unit, access is from insside the oven once a panel is taken off.

If it is a like for like swap, then that sounds rather expensive. Even if doing it properly, and testing the circuit, it will not take much over half an hour. If they dont bother checking the circuit, and just swap over the cables, then it'll be 10-15 mins. 2 or 4 screws holding the oven into the unit, undo a cable clamp, undone the terminals, remove the old oven, refit new one. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Is this the panel that also covers the heating element? To clarify, this oven has a circular element wit the fan in the middle. A metal cover can be removed by taking out two screws at the top and lowering the cover, which is hinged a the bottom. IIRC there is a screw easily visible o the fan itself, in the middle (presumably connecting it to the drive shaft). Is this the screw you mean?

that was pretty much the amount of work I was expecting. I'd do it myself except I don't like working with mains electricity :-). Might be an opportunity to get a new job installed as well - it's a gas hob so will obviously be getting someone trained, competent, qualified and insured to do that job if I have it done :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

No need to do anything, it should keep running for years

NT

Reply to
Tabby

In article , Simon Finnigan writes

It's not the fan fouling on the element is it? The fan will move as it heats up so the 'rattle' could well change. As these elements start straight before being bend to shape they can take a bit of gentle bending but bet you'll be out of comfort zone there ;-).

Reply to
fred

+1 to that. BTGTTS - replaced element, started to rattle some months later and resolved by just bending the element slightly, and hasn't reappeared. Rob
Reply to
robgraham

I'll give it a better look when I get the chance then, given tha two people have said the same :-)

Thanks all for the tips!

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Simon Finnigan

Deffinately not this - I had it running wit the metal shield off so I could check for tha exact thing. I'm not at home now, but I've got memories that the original element had a third screw bracket which the replacement doesn't - it might be the element moving more than normal if you see what I mean.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I have an atag oven and hob (elec oven) (gas hob) the oven started to make a strange rattling sound so googled it and checked fan, it looks fine so pu lled oven out and noticed what looks like it's been burning and it's near t he gas pipes what shall I do? Thanx

Reply to
valwithers1964

e a strange rattling sound so googled it and checked fan, it looks fine so pulled oven out and noticed what looks like it's been burning and it's near the gas pipes what shall I do? Thanx

Start by telling us what's been burning. A picture would be even better.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr