El cheapo paint brushes

FYI

Since I don't take on high spec decorating jobs I tend to use the cheapest brushes & bin them after the job. Works fine for the sort of jobs I do.

I have been using the B&Q sets of 5 at £1.98. Bought a set of 5 from Screwfix for about £2.35 and they are so much better than the B&Q ones its unreal.

Well worth a try.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As a fellow member of the "el cheapo brush" camp, that's well worth knowing, thanks.

Reply to
Huge

Thats £2.35 per paint job. I put it down to laziness in not wanting to clean a good brush. :-(

Since you go to Aldi why havn't you bought a stock of their paint brushes? pkt of three for £1.45 and decent quality at that.

Reply to
George

GBP2.35 pays for just under 2 minutes of my time. If you can clean a paintbrush properly in under 2 minutes, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Reply to
Huge

Pound Shop. Set of 7. Bristles still intact after the first job!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The other thing to bear in mind is the disposal of the cleaning materials. I have a septic tank, and I don't want to put White Spirit or Brush Restorer into it - even diluted. It seems to eat dilute emulsion OK though - at least in brush/roller cleaning quantities.

As it is, I have lots of old milk bottles (Sainsbury's plastic) with used white spirit settling - then I recover the white spirit and bin the bottle with the residue. (Yes, I know that it's going to landfill, thanks, but only after serving for six months on the front-line)

I just use premium brushes for gloss topcoat and varnish.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Probably cost you 39.5 pence to post this message then. If someone in China makes a brush for 10 pence, do you feel justified in throwing it away? Where does it all end? Should I throw away Ikea plates because it's not economic to wash them up?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That's the difference between recreation and "work". This is recreation. I don't clean paint brushes for fun.

Yep.

Why not? Don't try and dump your middle class guilt onto me.

Reply to
Huge

Takes me 30 seconds tops

Good to have a box full of clean paint brushes too.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Two minutes is a long time ya know.

Just cleaned 2 brushes in 1m 59.59secs The trick is not to overload the paint brush in the first place.

Reply to
George

Real painters (in which camp I count myself) don't often bother cleaning brushes, unless you're talking about wall brushes. When I did it professionally, paint brushes (used for gloss, eggshell or other oil-based paints) were simply kept in a paint kettle, stored in water. When you needed one, you took it out, shook out the water, wiped it with a rag, and just started painting. Most glossing or eggshell finishes were white or variants thereof, so small colour variations were invisible to the naked eye. Obviously if someone wanted a coloured finish, that needed a clean brush. Most of my brushes were never cleaned - I binned them when they wore out.

The other thing (which is probably not an issue if you're not doing high-spec jobs, though I'm sure your clients would sooner you did a good job rather than a bad job) is that all brushes work better once they're slightly worn - especially for cutting in. Also, new cheap brushes shed hair like a long-haired dog in summer, but if your clients don't mind....

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

I got soem decent brushes from Homebase recently, made by Harris with synthetic bristles. The name escapes me, something about not losing bristles (no loss?). They also cost less than three quid (for four) and I bought them to use with varnish. Excellent finish and I didn't have to go back picking up stray bristles from the finished surface.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Why not?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Plus the cost of white spirit/brush cleaner - and its £2.35 for 5 brushes - £0.47 per paint job.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

message

No, you should throw away Ikea plates because they're horrible.

Reply to
PM

£85 per hour!! Jeesh what do you do for that rate!

John

Reply to
John

I don't know why not. Even if they were as cheap as paper plates and delivered to my door free of charge, I still wouldn't throw them away. I guess that's making decisions based on something other than bottom line economics.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Dunno, I've never used one. In what way do they fall short of sir's expectations.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

"Clever things with computers", according to an introduction someone made to a third party yesterday.

It's only average for what I do and where I do it.

Reply to
Huge

Have you ever tried to shop in IKEA?

It's horrendous from start to finish.