Downlighters

We moved into our house about a month ago and predictably, since then, just about every light bulb in the place has blown. Replacing lightbulbs obviously isn't a big deal, apart from the downlighters in our kitchen.

The bulbs look like straightforward 240v screw-in jobs, but I can't get the old ones out! I've forced them almost to breaking point and they won't shift. I've also tried pulling, pushing and swearing at them, but nothing seems to work.

I'd just replace the fittings, but sadly it's a ceiling under a flat felt roof. The fittings appear to be held in by sprung clips above the ceiling panels (there are no screws etc), so ripping them down would cause quite a lot of damage to the ceiling. Questions:

- How might I remove the bulbs without smashing them, and potentially leaving a dangerous installation behind?

- How can I remove the fittings without causing massive damage to the (plasterboard + artex) ceiling?

Cheers,

Rob.

Reply to
Rob

I've had the same problem. Isolate the circuit. Wear a pair of thick leather working gloves and goggles.Twist the bulb until it does break: In my experience the bulb comes loose in the screw cap, the glass envelope doesn't shatter. Once it is loose, twist until the wire connections between the "bulb" and the "cap" break. Then you can grip the screw cap with a pliers, after spraying the threads with WD40 if you like.

To remove the whole downlighter, remember that these are usually sort of sprung into place with three spring fingers. If it is plasterboard they will usually spring out without causing too much damage, certainly easily patchable with filler. If it is lath and plaster it may be more difficult and messy.

Reply to
Newshound

But they could be bayonet and the two solder bobs have stuck to the contact pins.

John

Reply to
John

I am presuming these are the 63 or 80mm diameter spotlight reflector lamps (R63's / R80's). If so, taking the fitting down will not really help, as you cannot get to the screw thread of the bulb that way.

The only two ways I have had success in the past are:

  1. Use rubber gloves or similar to get more grip and try slightly tightening first

  1. If that fails I had to resort to smashing the bulbs in the fittings, turn off the power, hold a bucket up to the fitting and hit the bulb with a screwdriver handle. Then remove the screw in part with a pair of long nosed pliers.

These sort of lamps are a PITA sometimes, I think it is due to the two parts getting 'welded' together because of the heat etc.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Thanks Newshound - problem now solved (well, sort of). Following your advice, I plucked up the courage to extract the fittings from the ceiling (you were right, not too much damage) and as soon as I did, the problem was obvious. The idiots who installed the lights hadn't left enough room above them, so when they were pushed into the ceiling, the top of the light fitting broke away from the casing leaving the bulb at a very slight angle and unable to get past the flange at the bottom.

I've replaced one bulb now so the kitchen isn't in complete darkness, but I'll have to fit new downlighters at the weekend.

Thanks again for your help!

Rob.

Reply to
Rob

Cheers John - that makes sense, but in this case it was bodged fitting (see other post). You're right, though, these lamps appear to be a pain and since I won't re-bodge them, I'll replace them with something more sensible.

Thanks again for the advice.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob