DIY mince pies a no-no

Page 3 of 5

Make, make ?
I have a wife to do that
/me is already running, catches coat, byee
--
geoff

Suz wrote:

Ah, I made mince pies and out of puff pastry. Easy peasy. Followed a delia smith recipe. Cut a circle of puff pastry out, then half-press a smaller cutter into it (so you don't go right through, and are left with a circle surrounded by another ring of pastry). Brush edges with milk. Put teaspoon of mince meat in the middle (this'll give you some idea of the size cutters required) top with couple of whole blanched almonds or fresh cranberries, dust with icing sugar, and pop in oven for around 10 mins.
Yes they rise, but they don't do a slinky thing, cos the outer ring rises while the base stays a bit more squashed due to weight of mincemeat etc.
Yummy.
Velvet
: Suz wrote: : : > Just made some mince pies with the kids in an effort to act like a good parent. Big hassle trying to find a rolling pin in a local : > shop. Bought the puff pastry and mincemeat like what mummy used to make. Made the bottoms, put the mince in, some different tops and : > popped into oven. : > : > All well and good. Now I know why my mother used to blind bake the bottoms first. Each puff pastry bottom had launched itself up : > and over in that shape a slinky makes going down stairs. The children were horrified but giggling and my husband highly amused. : > Wiped the smirks off their faces when I made them eat them anyway. : > : > Buying the next lot from M&S : > : > : : Ah, I made mince pies and out of puff pastry. Easy peasy. Followed a : delia smith recipe. Cut a circle of puff pastry out, then half-press a : smaller cutter into it (so you don't go right through, and are left with : a circle surrounded by another ring of pastry). Brush edges with milk. : Put teaspoon of mince meat in the middle (this'll give you some idea : of the size cutters required) top with couple of whole blanched almonds : or fresh cranberries, dust with icing sugar, and pop in oven for around : 10 mins. : : Yes they rise, but they don't do a slinky thing, cos the outer ring : rises while the base stays a bit more squashed due to weight of : mincemeat etc. : : Yummy. : : Velvet
Sounds good. That's how you make vol-au-vents ain't it? Toasty almonds on the top? hmmm, yum. :

Going to try this tomorrow.

parent. Big hassle trying to find a rolling pin in a local

Made the bottoms, put the mince in, some different tops and

bottoms first. Each puff pastry bottom had launched itself up

were horrified but giggling and my husband highly amused.

No, use shortcrtust pastry instead - and make your own. It's dead easy.
Mary

Ooh, you wouldn't eat a mince pie in 1657 - They were hated papal symbols and under Cromwell, this was in very bad taste (It just came up on QI as I read this post)
--
geoff

Most hereabouts wouldn't eat a mince pie of those times anyway - being made of minced meat as well as fruit.
I would, have done, have made them, and very good they are. But not to modern palates, apparently.
Mary
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:41:40 UTC, "Mary Fisher"

Our own mincemeat has been made that way ever since we were married (24 years...!). And very nice the mince pies are too. My wife gives away small jars of the mincemeat and is often asked for more.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

made
What on earth do they taste like Bob? Totally sweet or a bit savoury? I adore fruit and fruit sauces with meat, put like the meat to be the main flavour.

Just not as sweet, and they stay a bit more moist. If you think about it, ordinary minced beef doesn't taste very savoury on its own. This is very finely minced. But essentially, you end up with slightly less sugar, more moistness and they are a little smoother.

The meat isn't so much a flavour as a texture here.
Mrs Beeton has a recipe, but there are loads around.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
"Mary Fisher" wrote | Most hereabouts wouldn't eat a mince pie of those times anyway - | being made of minced meat as well as fruit.
The butcher's bill for Christmas meals at Holyrood in 1528 included 13.6s.8d fo 1,000 ox feet and 1,340 sheep feet.
Owain

I've been checking up on mediaeval feast menus today, it's incredible how much stuff was put away.
Mary

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:01:15 -0000, "Suz"
The fuser roller from a large photocopier is much better and PTFE coated.

Can just about live with that, its a fiddle to make.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! The brown coloured sugar paste with one token currant sold in 4 year old jars with a 5yr hence sell by date is not mincemeat. Mincemeat is a glorious blend of fresh spices, fruits, suet and brandy (or rum as you wish). Really simple to make. One sniff should clear you sinuses. You could stuff supermarket mincemeat up your nose with a JCB and would feel pain long before smelling anything (and even then its 'orrible).

You don't need to do this - your bottoms are simply a bit thick. Try rolling puff pastry to only about 2mm for mince pies.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

We don't all have access to a dead photocopier and a living one would be a tad gunged after mincepies.

But worth it.

But still better for maturing so that the alcohol is absorbed by the fruit. What I'm using today is what I made five years ago and wonderful.

Yes.
My sinuses aren't blocked ...

bottoms first.

You're treading on thin ice here, Peter ... never tell a lady her bottom is a bit thick.
Mary
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:46:12 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
Can there _be_ such poverty ?!
I think I have 6 around here. How else do you find anti-condensation heaters for the tool cupboard ? Power supplies for Kirlian photography ? Heater pads for a laminating fuser ? High-torque motors for a doorbell made from an old pipe organ and a bellows ?
You can even scrape the selenium off and use it for gun-blueing steel, but that's for the truly chemically brave.
BTW - I bake my own (shortcrust) mince pies. People are so much more impressed when a single bloke manages to do it.
-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.
someone wrote:

I though one of those rollers looked ideal too, but ISTR being told the selenium etc coatings were quite toxic, and they get scratched and chipped in use. Shame.
But you dont need a roller anyway, I've just pressed the pastry into place when ocasionally caught rollerless.
Regards, NT
snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) writes:

He was talking about fuser rollers. They don't have selenium on them (*), that's the photoreceptor rollers. And no copiers have been made with selenium photoreceptors for some years.
(* They're just contaminated with carbon black, the major component of toner, which I personally would not care to ingest.)
Huge wrote:

Really ? What is the material these days out of interest ?
Steve

Yep. Selenium's too toxic and has other shortcomings.

di-meta-tolyl-diphenylbiphenyldiamine
That well known copier manufacturer I mentioned has been using it since 1982.

Some of the copiers to be raided are pretty old.
So if fuser rollers are PTFE and its safe, why are all the pastry rollers sold wood, not PTFE? I can think of an explanation, but I'd rather hear something better :)
Regards, NT