determining boundary wall on property plans

Evening,

can someone please help this numpty. I'm looking at a diagram of my property inside the leasehold papers. I'm looking to confirm which boundary wall I am responsible for. I can see what look like small T's coming off of boundary lines. Can someone confirm this would indicate where responsibility lies? For example, if the T comes off the boundary line and in to my property this would indicate my responsiblity?

Cheers.

Reply to
Dundonald

Yes.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes it does.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's very interesting.

Our deed plans don't show such marks. The text says that the fences are the shared responsibility of adjoining neighbours.

As it happens we haven't any problems at the moment and since we'd rather have fences as we want them we've replaced them. But I can see that it could be a problem for some ... the marks are ideal. When did they begin to be used?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That could be a reason for absence of Ts.

Quite a long time. IIRC, they were on the plan of an early c.20 house we had at one point.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do these deeds specify "fences"? My "property" doesn't actually become mine for just over three years and I CBA to call upon the Building Society to check details. One fence between me and my immediate next-door neighbour was a _hedge_ until a couple of decades ago, when it became difficult to manage and we went "fence".

As it happens, I get on well with all (three) of my immediate neighbours, and we readily share the cost of maintenance on an equal basis.

Oddly, I did a search of the Land Registry (LR) site and (for a fee!) got some info about my property. Just across the footpath past my house there's a grass verge. The LR plot seems to show (although dimensions aren't shewn) this verge, and half of the road, as mine.

I'm not saying too much, as obviously the LA maintain the road, and mow the grass of the verge... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

indicate

Don't know exactly but the date on my leasehold paper is 1981.

Reply to
Dundonald

indicate

Thanks! :)

Reply to
Dundonald

SNIP

Not sure about a beginning of the idea, but I worked in a surveyors office in the late 70's and it was common practice then, and in evidence on earlier plans (istr, but it was a long time ago)

They indicate the "ownership" of the boundary, again I _think_ regardless of what it's made of.

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

A bit of an aside, also I expect most of you know, but as from the end of this month you can contact the Land registry and for £1 get the deeds to any property. I plan to get my next doors neighbours to see if the boundaries etc match mine.

Reply to
Broadback

Before 1931, judging by the deeds to my place.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It really is nothing like as simple as many would believe. Take a look at this site

and
for a much more detailed account.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

From experience, Land Registry does not always get the boundaries right. The Industrial Estate my business is based on has had a long running problem, because the LR boundary was placed on the wrong side of a thick line used to denote the boundaries on the original plans lodged with them. It does not help that the original plans have now disappeared (a long story involving the previous owner and large sums of money gone missing somewhere in the chain between the purchasers of the factories, a deceased developer, the preious owner's solicitor and the previous owner).

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

That is not uncommon, particularly in older properties. However, if the road and footpath have been adopted by the Council, you no longer have any rights over that land, nor responsibilities for it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Responsibility for boundaries is as simple as has been stated - what can be complicated is determining the position of a disputed boundary.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Here there is no info on the deeds concerning boundary fences or walls, the deeds solely mark where the land ends, with fairly coarse resolution.

I guess it is basically upto us to communicate, and the sensible thing would be to share costs for fence replacement when due. Does this sound right?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Sorry Rob but you are quite wrong. It is very common for the deeds or Land Registry to be anything but clear on that.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I agree, but at times the boundary is a high retaining wall, which if fails could cause considerable damage. Also very expensive to repair. Determining the responsibility for that could be essential.

Reply to
Broadback

I said that where the original deeds carry the "T" marks then that determines responsibility for maintaining the boundary - what could be unclear about that?

Reply to
Rob Morley

The fact that it is a strong presumption but not definitive proof. As with so many things to do with boundaries the whole circumstances need to be considered not just one part in isolation.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland