Boundary line

Hi there,

My semi has a small caol shed which is mirrired on my attached neighbour's side. They are now extedning the coal shed slighly further down the garden - approx 3 ft further and the foundations that have gone in will put the new wall about 3inches over onto my side. They called me roungd just now to check if I was ok about it - I'm happy for them to do this as it's a big garden and not a problem to me, but are there any legal ramifications - may this become a problem in the future when I come to sell my house?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Get it all formally documented and the deeds/land registry entries amended. Do a search on the Party Wall Act. Your neigbour should bear all the legal costs.

Peter Crosland

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk

Reply to
Peter Crosland

AIUI; the "new wall" should_not_ protrude beyond the boundary line onto your property. With agreement; it's OK for the footings to extend into your property - with your permission - but the wall should not go beyond your property line. If nothing occurs then after twelve? years the neighbours (may not be the same people) will have gained your property by 'adverse possession.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Simon wrote in news:1186249773.734589.182210@

19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

Should be no problem for you, BUT - your neighbour may well have problems should you decide to move and your successor demands that his shed be put back onto the boundary. Your neighbour would be well advised to get a formal sale agreement with you of the land he wants to "buy" and then you and he get the title deeds altered at the land registry for BOTH properties. These actions may well save him a lot of heartache in the future. I think, and only think, he must offer you "something" in return for the land - say 10 pounds.

Terry W.

Reply to
Terry W.

The message from "Brian Sharrock" contains these words:

The law on adverse possession differs these days depending on whether or not the title is registered.

AIUI (IANAL) the time limit is down to ten years for property with registered title but any claim will result in the Land registry informing the registered owner who then has 2 years to evict the squatter. If the registered owner chooses to do nothing then the squatter can make another application after the 2 years have elapsed.

Traditionally squatters have had to wait 12 years (or 30 in respect of Crown land) to claim title by which time the real owner has lost the chance to evict, assuming the squatter can prove possession for the required period.

Reply to
Roger

ITYM *without* your permission (unless the footings are reinforced concrete). The Party Wall etc Act 1996 does go into this, and there are laid down procedures if you object...

Reply to
Frank Erskine