Part wall / boundary problem

A problematic situation has arisen regarding the exntesion I'm having built. Basically, it's a two storey side and back which goes over an existing sde garage. The house next door has a garage adjoining ours. The problem is this, the extension basially goes right up to the boundary and therefore soffit and guttering on the upper floor will hang over the boundary - clearly shown in the plans as such. We haven't invoked the Party Wall act, largely because our neighbour has been so laid back about the whole thing and has just said that he doesn't mind what happens, we can just do what we have to in order to get the thing built. The building control officer came to look at something earlier in the week and he pointed out the situation with the boundary.

Now, my neighbour intends to sell his house, when we've finished so would it be in our and his interest to have some sort of written agreement about overhanging his boundary with the guttering etc. ? If so, would a solicitor have to draw it up or could we just write something ourselves ?

And the answer to the question "why do you have to build right up to the boundary?" is - I don't know the people who we bought the house from drew up the plans and got permission for them, we're just doing what they intended to do. And no, I wouldn't do it that round again!

Thanks for any advice.

Matt Kelly

Reply to
TRK's Dad

No. You'd end up in a world of hurt with flying freeholds and all sorts of nonsense. It is possible to design a boundary wall with no overhanging guttering and I suggest you redesign it to do so.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Reply to
TRK's Dad

You need to make sure that you comply with the requirements of the Party Wall Act. Regardless of how laid back your neighbour is he well be asked to give certain assurances and it could hold up his sale process. You certainly cannot overhang his property without formal leagl process and in any case I doubt that his solicitor would allow him to do so.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

P.S. The Party Wall Act has nothing to do with this. You'll end up with flying freehold, which most mortgage companies will not lend against because of the potential for mischief.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If he building right up to the boundary surely the PWA may well be relevant. Or am I quite wrong?

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Only the bit about foundations (since part of them will be on the neighbour's land) or if the wall is attached in some way to part of the neighbours house/garage, I think.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Although the Party Wall Act will apply, it isn't relevent to the OP's question. The Party Wall Act justs requires the OP to allow the neighbour to appoint a surveyor and pay any damages. It has nothing to do with overhanging guttering or planning issues.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I am well aware of that but NHF. My point was that due to the proximity the PWA could be relevant.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland