Decent MP3 player?

I was quite interested in this topic as I also have been thinking of buying an MP3 player. There may be a feeling that this subject is out of topic; if that is the case where else could one post to? Plusnet Social Chat is dead, with only one message from January showing while other groups seem to be just as inactive. Is there a list somewhere of newsgroups and what they are intended for and how to get at them? I have only news.plus.com and don't really know how to get anything else. Always willing to learn. Why aren't unused groups closed?

Reply to
John Hardaker

"John Hardaker" wrote | I was quite interested in this topic as I also have been thinking | of buying an MP3 player. There may be a feeling that this subject | is out of topic; if that is the case where else could one post to?

news:uk.rec.audio is thataway, there are also several groups under news:rec.audio but they tend to be US based

If they're not carried on plusnet's servers then ask nicely and they will add them, or take your usenet business elsewhere.

| Is there a list somewhere of newsgroups and what they are | intended for and how to get at them?

In Outlook Depress, the Newsgroups button on the toolbar will show all the newsgroups available on your server. Otherwise

| Why aren't unused groups closed?

Nobody really owns Usenet, so there is nobody to close them.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

have a look on

Mike Hibbert

message

Reply to
Simon

Howie,

you are aware that iPods will also work with MP3s and that iTunes will create MP3 files for you ?

If everything else about one of the range of iPod suits your needs, you'll find it very easy to use.

Download iTunes for your type of computer and you'll see that there's a preference for electing to have CDs ripped to MP3 instead of AAC.

If you want to use existing MP3s, you can still rip your own CDs to AAC and the iPod will automatically play whatever format it finds. There is no DRM ( rights management ) on files you rip from CD, only on files you buy on-line.

It's worth doing that as the AAC compression system ( developed by Dolby ) uses a very cunning way to reduce the data rate while retaining the quality, so an AAC recording will sound better than an MP3 one at a similar rate, or will sound similar at a reduced rate.

Reply to
Rolyata