Condensing Boilers: Daily Mail Article

My condensate pipe is plumbed into the kitchen plastic waste as shown in the diagram, but on the *inside* of the house.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I ran mine internally to a soil stack

Reply to
NoSpam

What PCB ? ;-)

Yes the ridiculously expensive PCBs and just the regular stream of horror stories. OOI what does BG charge for a 'service'? A mate of a mate left BG because he wasn't allowed to do anything other than place a 'sniffer' in the flue ?? They rust through simple neglect and the early unavailability of spare parts is all very suspicious.

What would you suggest as the most reliable boiler/manufacturer because I'm going to have to bite the bullet soon. I'm genuinely concerned at having my present very modest outgoings, go through the roof when I get it changed.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Seems sensible. When I move our boiler to the now-empty gas meter cupboard (Transco moved the meter outdoors last year), it's right next to the internal soil stack. Guess where the condensate drain is going?

Reply to
Skipweasel

You usually need an opening, to let the water out.

Design a trap that shuts after discharging and you'll make a mint.

The HepVo (?) jobs don't count, the water will freeze through the thin membrane bit. You'd be OK if you could run the drain into a nice warm underground sewer and all exposed pipe was lagged.

Reply to
Onetap

FOAD Firth.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

NB: Kevin Lunn is not the only single brain-cell bigot. Mr Pounder is clearly keen to volunteer for the post.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Whether condensing boilers are a good or bad thing, a bilious piece in the Daily Wail will be no source of illumination on the topic, one way or the other.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Have you seen

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yip, I'm a bigot and a racist. You will always be a pillock..

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

;-) The sad thing is how true...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hooray, we agree!

Wrong but thanks for playing even if your entry was in the "smile, pat the chap on the head and try to pretend he's normal" category.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Does it then go outside though?

Reply to
dennis

You just put the pipe in the drain, no need for it to be above the surface.

Reply to
dennis

However it is perfectly true and is correct in the context of the story. It is freezing of this pipe that caused most of the breakdowns as they said.

Reply to
dennis

Just Dennis talking Bollocks.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Hint for mike: it still freezes when its cold.

Reply to
dennis

They sure look the same. There may be a small gap between the flu exit and the plume on a non condensing boiler while the air mixes and causes the steam to condense.

Reply to
dennis

Hint for Dennis. Stop being a knob head.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

How so? What I said is consistent with the facts.. most boilers didn't freeze, they may not have been condensing or they may just be fitted better. I never said the boilers that froze were not condensing as that was obvious even to someone like you.

Its also true that most boilers that have been retrofitted to older systems won't have big enough radiators to cope with -20 C and the owners will have turned the boiler to high, you know none condensing mode to get the rads hotter. This might well stop the condensate drain from freezing as there is nothing to freeze. I wouldn't be surprised if the one that did freeze were modern installs with big rads.

Reply to
dennis