Condensing Boilers: Daily Mail Article

Another with brain damage.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This proves the alleged condition of this man.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Potterton Envoy? (which I had the misfortune to own at one time)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Dribble, you need to go to aftercare and ask them for help. You know in your inner heart this makes sense.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Care to educate me on the 'properly lagged'? A genuine request, by the way.

Eff off stupid Jocko plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Leaving the bottom 3" unlagged and exposed to -14C isn't properly lagged. I can't see how any drain that doesn't go into the ground/sewer without the end being exposed to the weather can be properly lagged as that end will freeze. Overflows are the same, if you leave one trickling in -14C it will freeze and cease to be an overflow. You can lag the pipe in six inches of foam if you want, it will still freeze. Never accept an external outlet from a boiler that doesn't terminate in

*not* above a drain whatever size pipe they put in or insulation they put on. This is not the tropics.
Reply to
dennis

> Well I am very happy with mine...am I unique?

In 2006 Atmos launched the Drain Free boiler. It fiores teh condensate into the flue gass when running. No freezing drains.

Doctor Drivel

Please seek treatment for your condition.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

my garden.

I'll pass thanks.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

At least it explains where Doctor Who get their plotlines from.

Maybe they could use the heat of the boiler exhaust to evaporate it? What does the good Doctor reckon?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Please eff off as you a silly plantpot Jocko.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

OK: 'lagged' :-|

Looking back at the photos I think it was only 9mm foam lagging.

When you're installing a boiler in the middle of summer it's hard to appreciate how brass the monkeys can get at the other end of the year :-(

Reply to
YAPH

Before it exits the house my 21.5mm pipe is run through a room at around 20 deg C albeit with the pipe at the rear of some kitchen units on an outside wall. It has the as recommended by manufacturer falls, with a short stub of about a foot outside at 45 degrees dropping straight into a drain grate shared with the gutter downpipe.

Insulation hasn't worked, last winter I tried an inch of bubble wrap closely wrapped around the pipe with 25mm polystyrene insulation sheet around both it and the drain, that barely worked. This year, after the pipe froze again I deblocked and tried 25mm thick armaflex with an all enclosing gaffer taped 50mm celotex box around it and the drain.

It still froze in less than 12 hours despite me pouring a few kettles worth of near boiling water down the drain grate - the drain trap was rapidly freezing from the surrounding ground so the the barely lukewarm water coming out of the boiler didn't stand a chance of continuing to flow. Within a short while icicles were forming, possibly from the bottom up and in less than 12 hours the condensate drain pipe was fully blocked again. There was no other water input to the drain grate as the gutters were frozen solid and had been for well over a week.

But fortunately trace heating works as a temporary fix. I'll be moving the pipe into the internal soil stack come the spring.

Reply to
The Other Mike

The dual-temp Avantaplus' are great value for money at the mo.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel