Computers: Ubuntu Linux problems

Doesn't work, I just get "starting time & date" but the box does not appear.

Making system-wide changes like

Reply to
alexander.keys1

Windows got corrupted, not for the first time either, the speakers just went 'click' and the screen went black, no response to keyboard or mouse. After I switched it off and on again a BIOS message came up saying something like 'operating system not found'. So I decided to install Linux instead, the PC is a second-hand one that came without any discs, AFAIK it costs =A3200 for an unlocked copy of Windows.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

The mouse worked fine before.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

We've done that before, paid somebody to do a Windows reload, but the trouble with Windows is that it keeps getting corrupted and crashing, and we have anti-virus software too, at least we did have until the latest crash.

They should still do the job properly, volunteers on preserved railways work for free, but the job has to be done to professional standards, or else bad things will happen.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

OK. Are you using an account that has admin privileges through sudo?

You should be able to start the Time & Date program from the applications option on the dock. Is the application listed and if so what happens when you click on that?

Reply to
Bernard Peek

It is done properly, it's just you are not in the target market to be on the bleeding edge. It's installers. Anyway try Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and see how that goes for you, or PCLinuxOS, or LinuxMint etc. Research and ask questions through their forums. You might get there ...

volunteers on preserved

That's different. Trying to help people enjoy themselves and not kill themselves at the same time is a different line of professionalism, particulary when H&S, NI and DMGT are at large.

Reply to
Adrian C

You should have the OEM Windows sticker on the box, if you have then look for an OEM copy of your version of Windows, you just need the disk, and then during install enter the authorisation key on the sticker when it asks for it.

Reply to
Scion

"alexander.keys1" wrote: [snip]

They do. Despite being free Ubuntu comes with excellent tech support and is constantly patched and updated to work with recent hardware. It supports more devices than Windows 7.

I install server and desktop versions of Ubuntu on hardware ranging from old Turion processors up to recent Intel quad core devices. I've not had a problem, ever. The installers just work and the instructions during install are clear, inless one is acomplete pillock, that is.

And if I turn up at my local amateur twits railway they will give me a free engine or rides for life will they? Or will they charge more per mile than a Network TOC?

How much did you pay for Ubuntu?

Face it, you're just too dim to install an OS and too daft to tell the difference between a hardware and a software failure. Go back to paying Microsoft for an OS and use it in chimp mode.

Reply to
Steve Firth

To be fair, what is clear to someone who uses Linux every day may not be to someone coming to it for the first time.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Given the problems you describe it is highly likely that your hardware has developed one or more faults.

Reply to
Mark

As others have said, and following your description of the failure mode, it's 99% certain to be hardware failing not Ubuntu. Possibly the motherboard.

The basics, such a mouse control, keyboard interface and time and date setting have been bug free IME since the first version. Even the Ethernet now works 90% of the time straight from the install routine for me.

I'd suggest downloading and burning the Ultimate Boot CD, and using it to check your Hard Drive, memory and anything else you can think of.

Then, download Ubuntu again, and burn a fresh DVD, as your copy may be corrupted or may have been copied to a defective HD at install time.

Reply to
John Williamson

Oh. maybe its actually GOT ntpd installed, but can't 'see' any time servers?

What do the boot logs say?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you are anywhere near suffolk I'll sort it for you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That was my thought too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh. Did you put a new disk in?

And clean the dust from the fans?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , alexander.keys1 escribió:

Posting about a computer issue in a DIY newsgroup seems pretty incompetent to me.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

IIRC ntpd is not installed by default in Ubuntu*. ntpdate is though.

  • I haven't looked at 11.04.
Reply to
Mark

It's relevant, as the OP has repaired the computer himself, and is asking for assistance,and it is known that several of the regular posters here know about such things.

They're also less likely to take the mickey than posters in the Linux groups, IME. "How can someone be so stupid as to not get this to work? All you need to do is (Insert either a page of code or instructions to recompile the kernel.)" Neither of which works, because it's a hardware problem.....

Reply to
John Williamson

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It says "starting time and date" but nothing else happens.

Reply to
alexander.keys1