Completely OT- Legal tender

ROTFL....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Aren't they supposed to provide photos now to prove you were there ?

- if this showed the permit on display I think someone would get a bit=20 of a talking to...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

There is nothing wrong with being insulting on occasions, and this is certainly such an occasion.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Doesn't everybody?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Except that they are involved because they are part of the unnecessary machinery.

This is not gainful employment either for the individual concerned nor for their employer, the council tax payer.

Really if local authorities can't come up with a better way to use their headcount than this, somebody needs to be fired.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They are part of the department involved in this. If a reasonable number of people pay their fines in a way that is inconvenient for the collectors, it may, in time, result in their thinking that there is more sensible and gainful employment (which there is).

Reply to
Andy Hall

There was that video from a few months back of the lady magician who was producing hankies from pretty much everywhere. It should be reasonable easy for someone "in the business" to work out how it's done.

Reply to
Andy Hall

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "paul" saying something like:

Christ on a crutch. Where are all these holier-than-thou wankers coming from these days?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

That's a big Ding! there, Slowboy.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

I do. In fact, you probably do too, unless you live in a treehouse. It's just that the half of the road I/you own isn't really mine/yours any longer for all intents and purposes, it being adopted by the LA for use as a road.

You have the right to drive a little bit faster, Slowboy.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I am currently waiting to see if I will be issued with a notice for getting flashed on a road I use infrequently. The previous road markings had been burned off and the terminal(big)/repeater(small) signage replaced with about 15 identical signs featuring a speed limit roundel above a camera indicator sign. All perfectly legal, and I imagine the authority concerned has been sensible enough to ensure that the roundels are within the legal specs, but to my eye they are probably the smallest allowable size for a terminal (change of limit) sign. Those that function as repeaters are the same size and much larger than normal repeaters.

Of the 15 signs over about 4 miles, 6 indicate a change in the limit. You can discount the first as it grabs your attention, and the last as it indicates NSL anyway, but that leaves 4 changes of speed limit in 13 signs, which, numerals apart, look absolutely identical. (The road goes NSL-50-40-50-40-50-NSL where it used to be NSL-something-NSL-something-NSL.) I *knew* there were speed restrictions and I *knew* there were cameras, and I wouldn't argue with either. But the confusing and unnecessary signage fooled me. I hit the second camera thinking it and I were still in a 50 limit. I'd mentally stopped taking as much notice of the signs as the authority (and the self-righteous) would like. Thing is, I've never run a camera elsewhere where they'd stuck to the big signs and repeaters. Not once.

Someone has no idea of human factors. If airline pilots had to listen to monotonic voices constantly telling them to fly at a certain height and then the same monotonic voice told them to fly at a different height, they'd be falling out of the sky after mid-air collisions caused by someone not noticing the change. But I can't decide if the signage design on this stretch of road is malicious or incompetent. Either explanation seems equally likely.

Anyway, you say "don't break the limit" and in general I'd agree. However, it's possible for the authorities to make it far more difficult than necessary for drivers to follow what that limit is at any given time.

Rant over ;-)

Reply to
John Laird

How does that prove when/or for how long you were there?

Are .jpeg compressed photos accepted as "evidential quality", one of my local authority customers seems convinced they need to use .tiff files instead.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you had read and understood my original reply to your post, you would know the same. The Bank of England used to have a good explanation of legal tender and its very limited meaning, but that link no longer works.

To put it simply: nobody, at any time, under any circumstances is under any compulsion to accept any form of payment, simply because it complies with the definition of legal tender.

In a settlement of a debt, which does not include the payment of a fine, an offer to pay the exact amount in legal tender will protect you from future civil action for non-payment, but there is still no requirement to accept the payment.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, but that's not evidence of your claims.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Except in a marked parking bay, nobody has any right to park in the road.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

promoted to supervisory positions.

It's always worth having a close scrutiny of the PCN as the slightest error is a valid (legal) defence.

Some colours are not official colours as understood by the DVLC I think at least one of yellow, orange or brown does not officially exist. If the PCN mentions the colour of the van and it's not the same as the V5, then bingo, you win.

The wardens are getting very very sharp and thorough they take the view "if in doubt issue a ticket". I got one where my scratching had gone slightly over the wrong day but I was able to escape the penalty on the grounds of the visitors' permit being reasonably correct.

The most annoying one I got was where I has purchased a parking meter voucher, the notice on the opposite side of the road said "Parking meter bay". There was a parking meter on my side of the road ,very nearby, for the bays it was by, the but the bay I was in was a "residents' permit only". Which meant on that job I was working for LB Camden.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

There's a lot of information and misinformation surrounding this whole area.

For example, at one point, some clever dick lawyer managed to get his client acquitted of some charge involving CCTV evidence because the electronic compression used was MPEG. The encoding scheme for this involves both spatial and temporal compression - i.e. compression within frames and also of changes between frames using lossy algorithms. His argument was that because of this, it could be possible that some evidence information could be lost in the temporal compression from frame to frame. The argument is bogus in reality, but the technically illiterate judge/jury bought the argument. There was then an uptake of Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) compression because that does not use temporal compression nad is lossless in the time sense. Nonetheless JPEG is, in general, lossy so one wonders why arguments haven't been made there.

TIFF is generally accepted as more universally useful for quality imaging.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's not evidence that "Many wardens are liars"

Nor that "the wardens who are the most devious andpersistent work dodgers get promoted to supervisory positions."

People say silly things which could be libellous.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I drive from Preston, Lancs. to Porsmouth Hants on a regular basis, to see our daughter and g daughters. If you remember, about 2 or so years ago, there were road works in the Birmingham area, restricting the speed to 50 MPH. over the elevated section of the M6.

It was several trips down the road before I realised that any driver accused of speeding South bound had a very good case to have the conviction thrown out by the court. Though the motorway had repeater signs for 50 MPH at the correct spacing and a sign to say the the restriction had ended, there was no starter sign, the one that has to be bigger that the repeater signs.

I often wondered how many tickets were issued that were faulty.

Dave

Reply to
Dave