Coach Bolt Type Fixing

I am looking for something like a coach bolt fixing but instead of the usual square or hexagonal nut I want a threaded sleeve with a dome headed end like the coach bolt itself.. Do such things exist ? - if so what are they called and where can I get them ??

Thanks

Chris O

Reply to
Chris O

How big?

Kitchen cabinet connectors might work for small applications (metal, 5mm diameter 30-40mm long; various coloured plastic ~8mm diameter maybe a bit longer than the metal ones)

Or you could use ordinary coach bolts with dome nuts (like standard nuts but the end is closed with.... a dome!)

Screw fix sell both sorts if you want to look at a picture. (they call the cabinet connectors "Inter Screws")

HTH Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Berry

Thanks Adrian - the metal version is the sort of thing I'm looking for but I need something around 50-60mm + it has to be quite heavy duty and I need something that doesn't protrude as far as the dome nut.

Chris O

Reply to
Chris O

A threaded sleeve like that is called a tubular nut - this type of fastener must be tightened from the bolt end, which wouldn't be possible with a coach bolt.

Reply to
Rob Morley

When I said coach bolt I was really referring to a flattish dome-headed type bolt (which could be slotted) so I guess it is more like a roofing bolt. Where can tubular nuts be found ??- Google doesn't find much on this.

Reply to
Chris O

I suspect that they're usually specials for each application. Maybe you could use a connector nut (just a long nut to take a screw in each end) with Allen socket mushroom head screws? Of course if we knew your application ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Off the top of my head you need a tubular nut. Suzuki gt250 motorcycles of

1975 ish vintage used a long tubular 8 mm thread cylinder head nut, the head size was 14 mm with a flange washer built in, you could reduce the height of the nut head as much as you need, the tubular part was about 60mm long, od about 12mm. My shop used to sell them, but it has closed long ago, but any suzuki dealer would be able to get them. How many do you need, I may have a small number lurking somewhere.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

"Hexagon Connecting Nuts".

The range starts at 276-522 (M6x18mm) and goes up to 276-572 (M20x60mm).

A range of M6 and M8 roofing bolts (12mm to 80mm long) starts at RS part number 277-604.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Thanks for the suggestions - It's just to bolt length of approx 8" x 2" as a bench seat to metal brackets coming horizontally from a wall and I don't want any bolt ends protruding or anything sharp that for example could damage a child crawling underneath ! Your suggestion of the Allen socket bolts with a connector nut will do the job I think.

Chris O

Reply to
Chris O