Wanted - antique coach screws

I'm fixing up the iron work on some old chapel doors and I'm looking for coach screws with an antique appearance - ideally square head rather than hex - and blackened or unplated. Anyone suggest a source?

Prob need around 50, daimeter not critical M5 orM6 or whatever that is in old money 3/16"-1/4", around 25mm / 1" long - but again not critical.

Reply to
dom

Steve Firth

Is that wise? Are you fastening hinges?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

They're fairly widely available try googling 'square head coach screws'. You can 'antique' them by heating in a fire and leaving them to rust a bit.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
owdman

periodproperty.co.uk sell medieval style screws, though not cheap. Its worth noting that such things are used way out of character more often than not.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks for the tips - no, the coach screws aren't being used to hang the doors, just the decorative hinges (original) and door hardware.

Reply to
dom

Try

The Medway Handyman

are bright zinc - I think you can darken zinc with phosphoric acid, then protect it with something like wax or WD40.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Any acid works - even vinegar. If you're going to blacken them, it just needs to be roughened.

Liberon do a good black wax for steelwork. Not weatherproof though.

If I'm doing black iron for rough / outdoor use, I heat it with a blowtorch and wipe it with used sump oil. I'd also leave the zinc on in this case.

Reply to
Andy Dingley