Easing Coach Screws

I have to take out a lot of quite old coach screws. Is they any process of easing them. Like applying WD40 to a bolt.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Just into wood? If so, no special treatment should be required.

Reply to
John Rumm

Chris brought next idea :

If you mean coachbolts, as in screwed into wood - then WD40 etc. will not help, it will not penetrate far and will be absorbed by the wood at the surface. Try applying heat to the heat and allowing it to cool, with perhaps a good thump on the head (of the bolt) with a hammer.

If you mean normal threaded bolts for metal, the WD40 will help. Even better would be Plusgas or heat.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

or coach bolts which are not screwed into wood but bolted through

screws then hex socket should work fine without any easing as if they are quite old there is often some deterioration of the wood around them. Failing that a single hex impact socket would grip the faces rather than the corners

However if they are old coach bolts which may spin rather than undoing Then as the heads are a bugger to grip I usually use a cutting disc to remove the nut and tap the bolt out with a punch

Tony

Reply to
TMC

================================== If they are coach *screws* (i.e. screwed directly into wood) and if they're old then they will probably have square heads in which case a close fitting open-ended spanner will be needed. An old machine spanner is best if one is available.

I doubt if anything can be used to help undoing except steady pressure with the spanner, but be prepared for some breakages.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Always tighten the screw first,this loosens the grip and allows a much easier extraction,this applies to bolts as well

Reply to
ALex