CFLs

I went into Lidl today and they are selling 60 and 70 Watt CFLs for 39 pence each, or 5 for 50 pence. They are in a box with British Gas marked on it. Are they any good for anything?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I presume that's 60 and 70 Watt _equivalent_ CFLs? (which in reality will be nearer 45W and 55W equivalents).

Probably about right for a bedside table light, or other decorative light. If you have a fitting which takes multiple lamps, sometimes multiple of these low power ones result in enough light in some situations.

I have boxes of similar things which came through the post. Mostly, they're far too low wattage to be useful - it's difficult to find any use for CFL retrofits < 20W IME. You need 23-25W to replace a 100W bulb. Costco is the only place I've found which sells CFL's with honest equivalency ratings on the packet (the make is Feit, which is more widely known in the US than here).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They're probably nicked. Br Gas did a promotion last year, and said they'd send all their customers 2 or 3 of these lamps.Mine never arrived. Despite many phone calls and promises, I'm still waiting!

John

Reply to
John J Armstrong

TCL had some nice ES ones at 35 watt but I think he said they were 30 quid each!

AJH

Reply to
andrew

In that case, I'll leave well alone.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Morrisons have Status 30W at about £.something; good output and about

0.98PF. The 11W Philips in the hall is brighter than the 60W GLS that was in there

- very surprising. I've a couple of 20W Philips in place of 100W GLS and they seem to be >75W.

Reply to
PeterC

On 11 Aug 2009 16:19:18 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

Assuming that the OP wishes to replace a 100W bulb. Can't think where one would be appropriate in my house.

Reply to
David Hansen

I have a 30W ES one which came from Homebase some years ago, which I think was under £10 (just). I bought it as a prop for a presentation -- I don't actually have a use for it (or to be more precise, I don't have any light fitting that it would fit into).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel