SWA with copper grinning/shining thro cores along length

Image is of SWA cable, BASEC approved.

Blue & Grey insulated cores show the copper "grinning through" to the extent of being shiny at regular intervals along the cable. Black & Gr/Ye insulated cores show marks, but no copper "grinning through". Depending on where you exposed the bedding you would not know, however the idea is the cores are *continuously insulated* - oddly enough.

Yes it will probably pass a 1kV IR test. Yes most face the inside of the bedding, rather than facing the armour

- but not all do.

Sigh.

Reply to
js.b1

I think I would be looking to the supplier to replace that!

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed, the cable is actually worse than the photo shows.

Unfortunately the supplier (and others) are now only carrying that Turkish brand in smaller sizes re cost. So busy emailing around to see what people have before I start driving around.

Reply to
js.b1

It looks like product-recall territory to me.

Reply to
Bolted

Trading Standards?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I will examine more of the cable.

- I have 4m buried, easy to pull up in flexible conduit

- I have offcuts from both ends

Recall? Trading Standards?

- Actually no, I think it is a matter for BASEC to comment on

- If I find the problem repeats along the whole cable I will email them

I've got used to odd quirks - such as armour layups. Armour i) coverage measures to be 70% rather than 90% of bedding o.d. and ii) laid in such a manner as to leave a spiral band without armour so point penetration over a 4-5mm circumference would not actually contact armour.

However insulation with copper grinning through spoils your day with

*buried* SWA. If I had only removed a little bedding (10cm) I would have never been the wiser.

I note Screwfix still sell "Prysmian" branded FTE & SWA (altho not

5c), so still possible to walk-in and get Good Stuff. That said I still do not understand why Screwfix do not carry (say) 25m of 50-68mm underground twinwall electrical ducting (best) or non- perforated land drain (usable). Not much bigger than their piles of water supply pipe. Creates an SWA-upgrade market when someone finds 17th requires 3% VD for lighting and everyone sized to just scrape under 4% for 16th regs :-) Yes I know regs are not retrospective, but that doesn't stop 'em trying!
Reply to
js.b1

Reminds me -- had a scare-style flyer from the local former electricity board _warning_ householders that their wiring might not conform to 17th Ed regs, and they'd come and check it if you asked.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Can *we* send one to the former electricity boards?

"Warning - electricity boards have electrical supply infrastructure that does not conform to ESQC, such as supplying properties from a neighbour's cutout and junctions under driveways" :-)

Posted it to BASEC, will report if anything interesting. I got some TF Kable (TeleFonika) from Edmundson which was perfect

Screwfix advertise Prysmian SWA (& FTE 6242H & 6242BH) so it is easy to get "known stuff" on the highstreet.

Reply to
js.b1