Central heating pipe expansion noises - solutions?

Hi

The central heating pipes directly under our bed tend to go ping very loudly when the heating comes on due, I presume to them expanding and chaffing on the fairly tight notches in the joists. Since I have the floor up (Grrrrrnnn 8'x5' chipboard panels with plaster right on top Argh!) I am toying with the idea of melting wax into the notches to lubricate the pipe/joist interface.

Does anyone else have a better solution or indeed and reasons why the above wouldn't be a good idea?

Thanks

Ross

Reply to
RossG

A flat I lived in years ago was plagued with this problem. Wrapping self-adhesive teflon tape around the pipes where they were trapped completely cured the problem.

RS probably sell the tape.

Andy

Reply to
Andy W

or lining the notch with a piece of fabric or carpet, and between the pipes too, so they slide easily.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You think you have a problem!

About 20 years ago I was collecting insurance premiums. An elderly couple, who had just moved into their new home, asked me to have a look at their central heating problem. The central heating pump was installed on the floor of the main bedroom. When they viewed the house the pump was under the bed so they didn't see it until they moved into the empty house.

Reply to
John Flax