Cannot light Blowlamp

All

I haven't posted for a few years, and now I'm 'retired' I am finishing the diy ...

Problem: I have a Wickes butane/propane blowlamp with the self-sealing cartridges. Yesterday I lit it without problem, but today it just blows out all the matches. What's gone wrong ?. It is colder today (West Sussex), is this the problem. What if it heat up the nozzle with a hot air gun first ?. I'm right in the middle of moving the cold tank in the loft (link to photo to come) and I getting annoyed now (anyone see Griff Rhys-Jones last night :-) ).

Andrew

Reply to
ad

Too much gas flow.

Open the valve just a crack so you're lighting a little candle flame. Then *gently* increase the gas flow.

Reply to
dom

Does it have an adjustable collar to regulate the amount of air mixing with the gas? If not enough air it can blow itself out.

Reply to
OG

I guess either the flow rate is too high, or their is not enough air being pulled through with the gas.

Reply to
marpate1

Great ... that makes me look like a right numpty!

I did post this before I read the other replies .... honest :)

Reply to
marpate1

Or could be too much air. Close off the air inlet holes by gripping with thumb and forefinger, not too much gas flow, it should light with a soft yellow flame. The nozzle will warm up which helps evaporation of the gas, gradually let more air in and it should stay lit OK

Reply to
newshound

Screw the cartridge on then back it off and finally screw it home as tight as you can screw it home. Open the valve a touch and try lighting it again.

Reply to
George

As others have said, don't turn it on too much to start with, or the rush of gas will blow the match out.

My wife has a little blowlamp for cooking, which has an inbuilt spark generator for lighting it. I always borrow that to light my big plumbing blowlamp - far better than using matches!

Reply to
Roger Mills

"ad" wrote

As everyone else has said, but also hold the match in front of but below the nozzle so that it is the flame only in front of the nozzle, not the match head itself.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Dangerous move with some cartridges.

Re gas/air mixes, its too much air content that makes it unlightable, not too little.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Oh dear. You must tell that to God.

Or whoever sets teh laws of cjhemistry,.

But to make it easy, here's a hint: combustion requires fuel AND and oxidant. Without BOTH, no flame.

Its perfectly possible to blow a light out with pure propane..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dangerous move with some cartridges.

What are you on about?

Re gas/air mixes, its too much air content that makes it unlightable, not too little.

Heh?

NT

Reply to
George

Cobblers. Do they not teach the fire triangle anymore?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I think it makes you look like a nice helpful bloke. Not like some of the trolls around here.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the replies - I tried turning on the butane/propane mix (Its the Wickes canisters that are made in France) less vigorously and it lights ok.

As for the fire triangle - yes thats still part of the compulsory set of on-line training aids that Cable & Wireless make all staff and contractors do. I believe its a legal requirement for all Co's over a certain size.

Andrew

Reply to
ad

Whatever mix comes out of a blowlamp it meets the surrounding air, and a too rich mix will thus burn, even if not behave well, since it will always mix with the surrounding air to form a burnable mix. Close the air holes right off and try it - it burns.

I'm reasonably assuming the blowlamp be operated with the usual air atmosphere around it

I've never yet seen anyone unable to light a lamp with the airholes closed - in fact its pretty much a guaranteed way to light it if its being difficult. Light it, you get a yellow flame, then slowly open the holes to get the right mix.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

well done Captain Obvious. Now, with a torch adjusted to put out pure bottled gas, how exactly do you propose to keep that gas stream away from the air in the vicinity, thus keeping it unburnable?

demo? :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The gas does that all by itself..

Try it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think you'll find gases mix pretty rapidly, and where the gas meets the air it will inevitably mix. There will inevitably be a region where the mix is within limits for burning. If what you were saying were true, gas escapes would never ignite.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes, other than a demonstration that you didn't understand the point and that you wanted to teach your grandmother to suck eggs was there any reason for your post?

Reply to
Steve Firth