Can you remove an oil finish from wooden surround by dipping/stripping

I've seen a pine fireplace on Ebay which I'm thinking of buying. However it looks a little orange'ish which I think may be due to the fact that it has been oiled. As I've had all my doors dipped back to their natural state I was wondering would I be able to do the same with this fireplace if I bought it? I can't see why not but just wanted to check.

Reply to
jgkgolf

In my experience which ain't extensive I must admit, the orange finish you mention is more likely to be the result of oil-based varnish, which has a tendency to yellow with age. Why not ask the seller? There is that facility on eBay.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

You can't tell from a photo. Pine looks different in different lights

If it's the Dip 'n Strip type "non-caustic" method, it'll remove anything. Caustic won't touch a lot of modern finishes, including polyurethane and acrylics

Reply to
Stuart Noble