Cable for oven question

I will be taking out a cooker hob, it is wired in to an island in the middle of the kitchen, I am presuming for this hob it would be a normal rated plug socket. When I get the gas fitter to install the new cooker, gas hob but double elec oven (not unpacked yet) I assume I would require a higher rating for the double oven.

How would I check as to how the existing elec hob wiring is rated?

If it is rated correctly for the `new` elec oven then I can shift the elecs myself, as it is basically just resiting the socket, if it requires upgrading then I need to call in the electrician.

Reply to
ss

In my experience hobs are higher power rated than ovens, does the new cooker give you a rating?

jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Due to the chaos at the moment I havent unpacked the cooker to get hold of the instruction/installation manual hence enquiring how to identify. just trying to work ahead of any potential work requiring qualified trades V what I can do myself.

Reply to
ss

Wouldn't like to bet on it. A 13A plug can only deliver just over

3kW. A single ring on a hob can be well over 2kW and you have four of them. A 10kW rating for a hob would not be excessive.

Bad assumption, ovens generaly have a lower rating than hobs, only two elements not four.

Look at the rating plate of the hob and check the cable size, I expect it will be 6mm2. Have google for nominal T&E cable dimensions

Donno what Prat P has to say on work in kitchens.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Lame excuse you have access to the net, download the manual from the makers site or maybe they will have that information online as a page in the cookers description.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Unlikely - only a small double ring table top hob would be able to get enough power from a single plug connection.

Double ovens are probably also going to need wiring (single ones often come with a conventional plug) - however there is a very good chance the total load will be less than the current hob

Have a look at the cable feeding it (and if that is a rubbery feeling round flex, follow it back to the termination and look at the flat T&E going into that.

Measure carefully and compare to:

look for the circuit breaker/fuse marked cooker or hob in the CU. as see what rating that is.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just under, these days: 230 V * 13 A = 2990 VA :~)

It might be a gas hob, needing only a few VA for ignition - plug top or FCU with 3 A fuse being all that's needed. OTOH if it's electric then diversity (first 10 A plus 30% of the remainder) is applicable - even so, a separate 20 or 32 A final circuit will usually be required.

Yes but a typical double oven will need significantly more than 13 A and will require a separate circuit as above. One 32 A circuit is usually OK for a double oven and electric 4-ring hob, and a single isolator can be used if within 2 metres of both appliances. Larger appliances may require higher rated circuit(s).

A question like that suggests that the OP should be calling an electrician in any case.

Resiting a socket is installation work and, if in a kitchen, requires notification, strictly speaking.

Reply to
Andy Wade