burglar alarm tripping on power cut

I don't know how much alarm batteries weigh, but if you're passing a scrapper anyway...

I was just pointing out that if you buy new ones from Maplin, they won't take them off your hands, they're *your* problem.

Reply to
John Williamson

Check prices at Toolstation and Screwfix. I got a replacement for our alarm from one of those (but can't remember which!).

I've got 10 UPS ones and a car one at the moment, and reasonable amount of copper (and probably a negligible amount of ally) I really ought to get round to dropping it off soon before some scrote has a look round the back of my shed.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just to be clear that "they" is Maplin not VPS. Fairly sure VPS offer some form of dead battery returns system. Actually I'm rather surprised that Maplin don't I though if you sold more than X amount of batteries/year you had to have one of those collection bins. Maybe SLA's aren't covered by this legislation?

Also I thought retailers of eventual WEEE stuff had to have something in place to handle it when it does become WEEE.

True enough for a "distress" purchase but replacing an alarm battery that has probably being dead for the last 5 years is hardly "distress". Anyway nearest Maplins is a 60 mile round trip. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The vast majority of HWRC's take 'em, that's only a 30 mile round trip. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Indeed yes, I was talking about Maplin.

They claim to. They pay money to the scheme that operates the WEEE disposal system for local authorities. According to the droids (two of 'em, one on the phone, the other by e-mails) at head office, and the store manager at their store on the Strand in London, this complies with the rules. Delivery to the point of disposal is, according to them, my problem. In my case, this involves a few hours off work and a shortish drive, as the point is not open 24 hours a day, but the normal 9 'til 5 or so, or Sunday morning.

Maplins will, however, take back small domestic batteries such as AA or possibly even ones as large as D cells. If you can find the container...

Reply to
John Williamson

Blimey!, What motor uses these ones;!?...

tony sayer

Ding! The UK defines SLAs as hazardous, so they don't need to be WEEE'd

Reply to
Andy Burns

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Maplin's are only 5 miles away so that was quick and easy. But about 80% more than Amazon's prices. The local Domestic Waste site takes old lead batteries.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone