Builders' Merchants

People would assume it was a way of casing the joint!

Reply to
Andy Burns

My tame builder won't use the sheds unless there is no choice. His preferred BM is Staffordshire BS in Ocker hill.

Reply to
dennis

There isn't much demand for major building works to be done at xmas. Most want it finished before or started in the new year.

Builders just get in the way.

Reply to
dennis

There's not many handymen around here.. there is no money in it.

I just had some electrical work done and it cost less than TMH charges and I got a certificate for it. Nothing much just a new consumer unit, SWA to connect it, lighting, mains, AC for £140. Also not immigrants.

Reply to
dennis

Why not DIY it?

Reply to
ARW

I agree for most domestic stuff. The only job I had to do between Christamas and New Year was a rewire 1st fix at an empty property. Although there was demand for electricians at work due to a hospital that needed a ward rewiring and it helps if the ward is closed:-)

Reply to
ARW

Too busy.

Reply to
dennis

Fair enough. And was the work up to the standard you wanted? I am guessing this is an additional CU and not a CU swap. Fully earthed SWA at both ends are a must when I work with it (apart from TN to TT installs).

Reply to
ARW

Well TMH seems to be doing OK. The two longstanding chaps I know of in our village were both operating when we moved here getting for 9 years ago.

I've one a couple of times, useful for smaller jobs I want done quick and ust don't have the round tuits. I think I'm going to get him back to sort out a bit of dodging guttering/downpipe which I'm just not finding the time to do and it's leaking all over the place.

Not a job most handymen would do anyway as they are less likely to be regged.

Sounds pretty cheap

Reply to
chris French

I suppose that's because you live in a slum area?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You can get qualified trades to jobs around here for less than TMH charges. I expect the trades either don't exist in Medway or charge a lot more.

That's what I thought, I went to work and earnt enough to pay for it and I enjoy what I do more than drilling holes and pulling cables through.

Its done OK, quite neat really. I did have to drop the metal box the SWA is terminated in by ~3 mm when I added another one to it as the the screw holes didn't line up very well.

BTW three core 6mm SWA is a real PITA but its all I have left to run a new outdoor supply. A bit OTT for a 20A supply I think.

Reply to
dennis

I hope that is not an euphemism:-)

There is a trick to that. You install the lock nut first and then offer up the SWA armourings into the back nut.

I have some 95mm 5 core going spare if you fancy a challenge!

Reply to
ARW

Unbelievably, Dennis has become even thicker in 2014.

That's probably because you live in a slum.

A unitary authority with a population of 264,900, 30 miles from London - and there are no tradesmen?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Then I would define my normal working hours as 10:00am to 11:00am on Mondays, which is when I am almost always in the office.

My staff is me, so if I take leave the business has to close down.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar