Bent builders

Who would have guessed

The flagship scheme for certifying builders has been called into question after a string of test centres were caught rigging health and safety exams.

Reply to
Jonno

It's a farce anyway. The questions are ridiculous. All you need to do is read through the book once. You sit there and click and mouse, and always finish long before the end of the time allowed.

Most seriously, some of the correct answers are in my opinion dubious in the extreme.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Sounds like the mandatory "information and data protection" course I had to do the other day. If you got an answer wrong in the online test, it helpfully told you, left you to choose one of the other multiple choice answers and still awarded 100% at the end.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh I see. I was talking to one of my asbestos removers the other day who finally got rid of my garage for me. He said that they had to keep on going to courses about improved procedures on doing this type of work. I often wondered about the trade associations and check a trade and their ilk, and he said most of them have a conflict of interest, and really should be separated, as its obvious that almost any wally can get a certification to do normal building trades. What can one say? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

In my experience, the ONLY way to find ~any~ builder/plumber/heating engineer etc is by word of mouth from current and former neighbours. The former ones will often have moved only a few miles away, and if you still bump into them locally, which is often the case, they could well have had work done on their new abode. Chap near me had a whole house extension put on and the builder (local, family run small business, several generations) did a fantastic job as I drove past it for several weeks while the work was progressing. Couple of houses locally have had the render and paint treatment to improve the exterior of very old (1890s) dwellings, and they have been transformed. They now look very smart.

MM

Reply to
MM

I went through a spell of doing those at college.

I could do a "20 hour" course and exam in about 20 minutes and pass with 100%

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

There is a government website about removing asbestos cement Anyone can do it.

harry

Nope. It must take your first answer.

Reply to
ARW

And yet - I got 100% :)

It's lip service - "All our staff ... blah blah". Means absolutely bugger all.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The only people who will gain by this are non, or poor, english speakers. The CSCS online test is so simple that anyone with just a little common sense will pass it. The 'one-day' H+S course is no better, it is so simple that a 10 year old should be able to pass it. Reports that 'untrained workers with fraudulently obtained cards will kill people' are ridiculous, the CSCS test does not give any training, it just, supposedly, ensures you have a little bit of common sense.

Reply to
A.Lee

That's the sort of thing I mean. The rules take no account of experience and common sense.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Without any preparation, I just tried the mock tests at:

I got 11/11

I got 14/14

I got 12/12 (one I thought I might have got wrong, but I didn't)

I got 10/10

Got bored at this point - there are loads more there.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sound like Hero

Regards

Shop all your products in less price.

info.meganstore

Perhaps that's the same one Talktalk use.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog