Electric iron question

Just about every iron we have had (steam) eventually leaks water, apart from my wife denying she ever drops them what causes this?

If you lie the iron flat, as in hot plate face down it leaks water from the hot plate steam holes, it eventually stops and then ironing can proceed. The water reservoir probably hols around half pint and it probably leaks a quarter of this before it stops.

The irons are cheap enough to replace bust just wondered if there is a cure, to date I have never dismantled one. or indeed if anyone else has had this problem.

thanks

Reply to
SS

Are you not supposed to stand it on it's end until it gets hot enough to use assuming it is on the "Steam" setting .

Reply to
invalid69

Not sure if I entirely understand the problem. If dry ironing is required, pour the water out. If steam ironing is required, pour water in.

Of course, having poured out most of the water, a few drops remain which will tend to come out as steam for a few minutes. But I've never had a problem with that little bit of steam.

Perhaps your iron does not have a means of draining?

(Mind, I'm trying to remember that last time I positively wanted to dry iron anything. And yes, I do almost all the ironing here.)

Reply to
Rod

Wonder how the News Group will wriggle out of this if it is true ..So much for the in-depth investigation done by The Met and PCC when the Editor ( now Dave Camerons Media Spokeman) resigned .

More at the above link) "The publisher of the News of the World paid £1m in court costs after its journalists were accused of involvement in phone tapping, it has been claimed.

The Guardian says three cases were settled out of court after journalists allegedly hired private investigators who obtained the information illegally.

It claims News Group paid £700,000 in damages and costs to the head of the professional footballers' association.

News International told the paper the case "means nothing to anyone here".

A spokesman said: "This particular case means nothing to anyone here, and I've talked to all the people who would be involved." The BBC has yet to receive a response from News International. "

Reply to
invalid69

What's 'ironing'?

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Yes thats what I do but then when I start ironing it leaks water and steams at the same time. As above it does eventually stop and just steams as it should do.

Reply to
SS

entirely relevant to electric irons I'm sure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Scaled up? Do you have hard water? You can get irons with a small ion exchange water softener built in. I use water out of the dehumidifier, so there's no scale formation. If you don't have a source of clean deionised water, then using water from the kettle after it's boiled and cooled down is a second best.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't blame me .It wasn't me that posted that second message . It's some d*****ad with a mental health problem

Reply to
invalid69

Sat in the car the other day having got rid of the block of snow and ice it was encased in and tried the wipers and decided they were shit and that I needed new ones so bought Bosch ones online for about £14. What I also realised when looking for them was that I had put the last pair on reversed with the longer one on the passenger side and the shorter one on the drivers side ..Dork that I am for doing it and driving around with them that way and not realising

Reply to
invalid69

Soft water (Scotland) scaling has never been a problem.

Reply to
SS

It's what the wife does when there is no Soap Opera to watch

Reply to
Rick Hughes