OT; What is the world coming to?

Yesterday. 21st October. The media is full of articles celebrating a date made famous in a mildly good film Back To The Future.

Not a mention of the Battle of Trafalgar 110 years ago, one of our greatest naval victories and the reason we don't all speak French.

Reply to
David Lang

Andy Cap

Fixed your post.

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

That's the difference between current news and an anniversary. The date in the film is current, Trafalgar was 210 years ago.

Reply to
Clive George

In message , David Lang writes

And Sunday is the 600th anniversary of Agincourt.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Whoops! :-(

210 indeed!
Reply to
David Lang

And, technically, it's BTTF day *today* in the UK - given the time difference.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Weakest Link:

Anne Robinson: In history, at the battle of Waterloo, which general's horse was called Copenhagen?

Contestant: Lord Nelson.

michael adams

michael adams

In Gillingham Wellington St is next to Copenhagen St. None of the residents I've worked for know the connection.

Reply to
David Lang

In message , David Lang writes

Makes sense really, the date in BTTF will only come round once, in the anniversary of Trafalgar every year

Reply to
Chris French

Yes, but Ramsgate has a road called "The Plains of Waterloo".

And Waterloo Place, and Wellington Crescent.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Strood has a Quixote Crescent off Windmill Rd. Know locally a Kwicks Ote Crescent. I've worked for half a dozen people in those roads, none knew the connections.

We also have a newish estate with roads like Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno, and Sword. I've worked for about 10 residents, only 1 knew the connection.

Reply to
David Lang

Tut.

You'd think that at least some of them would have listened to "Warhorses of Letters" on Radio 4.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Look at the roads round Quex Road in NW6. Lots of East Kent (Thanet) names. Apparently the landowner owned lots of land in East Kent and named the roads after things he owned (whole villages etc.)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Most people have never heard of Radio 4, much less listened to it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Huddersfield has a whole district called Waterloo.

Reply to
harry

It's thanks to people like you that this great country is in such danger.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I can see a sort of subliminal link; Nelson famously put the telescope to his blind eye at the battle of Copenhagen.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Certainly in Gillingham.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some time ago I was the sysadmin of a VAXcluster. I had named the machines Saturn (the big 8800) and the others (8200s and a 3100) after moons (Titan, Janus, Phoebe...)

The 'management' decided to replace all of them with a single, fairly crappy machine. They 'sold' it to users as a bright, shiny, 'new' machine although it was low powered and rubbish in comparison (third party SCSI drives in crappy cabinets with low quality cables, for a start).

The last thing I did (before I gave up that role to admin a college full of students instead) was to name the new machine. I called it Sirius, which sounded plausible and was accepted by TPTB.

It took three years before the director realised I'd called it a dog.

Reply to
Bob Eager